On the web:
- Google’s NFC Move Hands New Opportunity to ISOs, But Much Depends on Carrier Reaction - Digital Transactions - "Google stunned the payments business last week..."
- Analyst: Discover’s Merchant Network Might Be a Good Buy for a Mobile-Wallet Provider - Digital Transactions - "The big advantage for Discover and its stockholders in selling the network could be unlocking value that currently is masked by Discover’s bigger business lines."
- Bitcoin Is Not Broken - Forbes.com - "Andresen said he is less worried about a flaw that effects incentives for miners than one that slows down the network or stops transactions from going through."
- USPTO Clarifies Standard for Review of Financial Services Patents - "The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) may have given banks, financial institutions, and retailers more access to a powerful new tool to fight weak patents."
- Bitcoin Comes Under Senate Scrutiny - WSJ Washington Wire - "A pair of Senate committees will hold hearings on the policy issues raised by virtual currencies in the coming weeks, according to Senate aides..."
- Safaricom's plans to speed up M-Pesa payments system delayed - Reuters - "Safaricom Chief Executive Bob Collymore told Reuters late on Tuesday the Huawei upgrade would now take nine months longer to complete..."
- HCE possibilities - Finextra (Milos Dunjic) - "...wider HCE support may trigger new and revived interest in implementing custom NFC contactless mobile payment apps without need to utilize Secure Element (SE) in the phone and without any reliance / dependence on MNOs"
On the wires:
- New Report Finds $5 Billion in Investments in FinTech for Financially Underserved Americans - "Investment activity in FinTech companies for financially underserved consumers totaled more than $5.2 billion in allocated capital between July 2012 and June 2013, according to a report issued today by the Center for Financial Services Innovation (CFSI) and Core Innovation Capital (Core)."
- Alliance Data to Scale-Up Loyalty Presence in Europe and Asia via Acquiring a Majority Stake in European-based BrandLoyalty - "Ed Heffernan, president and chief executive officer of Alliance Data, commented, "BrandLoyalty is a strong strategic fit and good management fit, and it offers a reasonable valuation."
- Independent Bookstores Can Now Sell Kindles and Earn 10% from Future Kindle Books Sold - "Amazon.com today introduced Amazon Source, a new program that enables independent bookstores and other retailers to sell Kindle devices and accessories, and earn money while doing so."
- RBS Citizens Financial Group Launches Bank Better Initiative with Signature Approach to Overdrafts – No Overdraft Fee for Transactions of $5 or Less – and Other Enhancements - "With Bank Better, we have a simple but important goal: Make it easy for our customers to ‘bank better.’"
- Oberthur Technologies Offers a User Authentication Solution to Governments and Corporations, Leveraging on Its Embedded Secure Element (eSE) in Mobile Devices - "The ID-One PIV® for eSE solution, designed for government agencies and large companies, offers the same security level currently available with cards on desktops or laptops but in a mobile phone or tablet integrating an embedded Secure Element (eSE)."
- Allied Wallet Partners with Paysafecard to Accept More Payments - "Paysafecard is a leader in online prepaid solutions..."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Looking for consulting help from Glenbrook? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join Glenbrook's Carol Coye Benson and Scott Loftesness for our Glenbrook Payments Boot Camp on December 10-11th in Palo Alto, California!
- Glenbrook's Jacqueline Chilton will be speaking social media and payments at the W.net Northern California LINC Networking event being held November 14 at Google.
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews