ON THE WEB
- Alibaba Affiliate Ant Financial Raises $4.5 Billion in Largest Private Tech Funding Round - Wall St. Journal - "Ant Financial, which operates Alipay, China’s biggest online-payments platform by transaction volume, raised its latest funding round from a clutch of investors including a Chinese sovereign-wealth fund and the country’s biggest insurers..."
- A look inside Stripe’s API platform - Medium (Gordon Wintry) - "For this edition, I spoke with Cristina Cordova from Stripe. She shared how the company approaches partnerships to help grow the platform."
- W3C Publishes First Public Working Drafts of Payment Specifications - "The W3C Web Payments Working Group has published the first public drafts of payment specifications which include a Payment Request API, payment method identifiers, and basic card payment."
- All About Fraud: How Crooks Get the CVV - Krebs on Security - "A longtime reader recently asked: “How do online fraudsters get the 3-digit card verification value (CVV or CVV2) code printed on the back of customer cards if merchants are forbidden from storing this information?"
- Canadian Fintech comes to Menlo Park on May 9. They'll be pitching their ideas and participating in a discussion of the environment for Fintech here and in Canada. Sign up here with BayPay.
ON THE WIRES
- Pitney Bowes Launches Cloud-Based Payments Engine for Shipping and eCommerce Platforms - "By leveraging the Pitney Bowes Bank, an FDIC insured institution charted in Utah, the company is able to provide uniform payments products, lending terms and interest rates in the U.S."
- International Telecommunication Union to discuss deliverables for future digital financial services roadmap - Speaking ahead of the event, Sacha Polverini, Chairman of the Focus Group and Senior Programme Officer of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation’s Financial Services for the Poor (FSP) programme said: “The work we are doing is incredibly important. It is the first time ITU has partnered with international organizations like the World Bank, CGAP (Consultative Group to Assist the Poor), GSMA (Groupe Speciale Mobile Association), AFI (Alliance for Financial Inclusion) and others to initiate a forum like this.”
- U.S. Bank Launches New Pilot App for Local Businesses in Lawrence, Kansas - "U.S. Bank has launched Deal Local, a new mobile app designed to help local businesses attract new customers and build loyalty with their existing customers through deals and rewards. Exclusive to Lawrence as a pilot, the app is live in the Apple and Google Play app stores and is already being used by Mass St. favorites Weaver’s, Milton’s Café and Hobbs, among others."
- Global Payments Completes Merger with Heartland Payment Systems - “We are delighted to announce the completion of this landmark transaction,” said Jeffrey S. Sloan, Chief Executive Officer of Global Payments. “The transformative partnership with Heartland will further accelerate revenue growth, operating margin expansion and cash earnings per share growth and create the leading provider of integrated payments technology solutions worldwide.”
- Remitly Secures $38.5 Million in Series C Funding - "Stripes Group led this round and was joined by Vulcan Capital, both new investors in Remitly. Existing Remitly investors also contributed to the round including DFJ, DN Capital, Bezos Expeditions and Trilogy Equity Partners, among others."
- Rising payment fraud in UK overwhelming merchants with misunderstood chargebacks - "The figures from Financial Fraud Action UK reveal that financial fraud losses grew by 26% in 2015. The research further highlights the growth in payment card fraud, up 18% over the same period to £567.5m and the value of card-not-present (CNP) fraud, including ecommerce, which was up 20% to £398.2m."
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are coming up in May - both in Palo Alto, CA - we hope to see you there!
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: firstname.lastname@example.org!