On the Web:
- Bitcoin and Charities - A VC (Fred Wilson) - "If you own Bitcoin, at Coinbase or in your own wallet, you can gift your Bitcoins to charity and save them pretty much all of their online fundraising costs."
- Beware Keyloggers at Hotel Business Centers - Krebs on Security - "The next hotel business center you visit may be completely locked down and secure, or it could be wide open and totally overrun with malware. The trouble is that there is no easy way for the average guest to know for sure."
- Curated Food Delivery Startup Caviar In Talks To Be Acquired By Square For $100 Million - TechCrunch - "Caviar is one of many new startups that seeks to enable customers to order meals online and have them delivered in a short period of time."
- The Password Is Finally Dying. Here's Mine - Wall St. Journal - "Google is working on an as-yet unnamed protocol that allows you to connect to your online accounts on any device by authenticating yourself with your smartphone."
- Why Jack Ma Separated Alipay In Alibaba’s Words - Wall St. Journal Digits - “This action enabled Alipay to obtain a payment business license in May 2011 without delay and without any detrimental impact to our China retail marketplaces or to Alipay.”
On the Wires:
- Visa Makes Strategic Investment in DocuSign, Building a Relationship to Support Businesses and Consumers - “Both Visa and DocuSign have a common vision to help consumers and organizations transact business in confidence,” said Ryan McInerney, president, Visa Inc. “Our mutual objective is to eliminate paper-based transactions. For Visa, the competition is cash, for DocuSign it is paper."
- New Report Sponsored by eBay Ranks Countries Based on Global E-Trade Readiness - Laurel West, editor of the report, said: “It’s clear that technology alone is not enough to allow e-trade to reach its full potential. Customs regimes across the globe are still aligned with the needs of big businesses and hampering SMEs. E-trade is a ripe opportunity for SMEs to compete with multinationals."
- Visa Partners with International Ecommerce Company Borderfree to Enhance Middle East Online Shopper Experience - Karim Beg, Head of Marketing at Visa MENA, said: “Visa is excited to engage with one of the leading ecommerce platforms in the world and offer customers of select banks the opportunity to purchase products from some of the most coveted fashion and retail brands without leaving the comfort of their homes."
- Mexico Based mPOS Leader Sr. Pago Closes $1 Million Seed Round with Investment from Silicon Valley Veterans Including Jay Adelson - “As we’re using technology to transform the informal cash-based financial ecosystem that comprises much of the economy of Mexico and other nations, we are pleased to have some of the top tech visionaries from the Silicon Valley onboard,” said Pablo González Vargas, CEO of Sr. Pago
- MasterPass Continues Global Expansion, Product Enhancements Planned for August - "MasterPass has always enabled financial institutions to put their brands front and center, supported by MasterPass as a far reaching acceptance mark."
- Powa Technologies Launches PowaPOS Software Developer Program to Independent Software Vendors Globally - “When our team of industry veterans designed PowaPOS, our overriding objective was to simplify the transition to next generation POS. We did that with the industry’s first, true all-in-one tablet-based hardware solution,” said William Pittman, EVP, Customer Implementation, PowaPOS.
- Share of Corporate Cash Held in Bank Deposits Rises to New High, Survey Finds - "Short-term corporate cash continues to move increasingly toward banks, with bank deposits now accounting for 52 percent – the largest percentage ever – of short-term corporate investment balances..."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: Aug 5-6 in San Jose, CA.; Oct 7-8 in Palo Alto, CA.; Oct 21-22 in New York City; Dec 9-10 in Palo Alto, CA.
- Money2020 has become the go-to event in payments. We'll be there in force... will you? Use this promo code to register "GLENBR20"
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: firstname.lastname@example.org or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Got news? Please forward press releases to: email@example.com.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews