On the web:
- Stress Test Prepares VisaNet for the Most Wonderful Time of the Year - Visa Viewpoints - "This year’s “mug number” – as we like to call it – is 47,000 transaction messages per second, which is a huge step forward from 2012’s peak capacity of 30,000 transaction messages per second!"
- No plastic, no problem: Square does away with deposit limits for U.S. businesses - GigaOm - "Square is eliminating holds on funds taken from payments where no physical card is present."
- How Big Banks Killed a Plan to Speed Up Money Transfers - American Banker - "The plan, known as Expedited Processing and Settlement, may not have been a step into 21st Century..."
- EMV: America, What Took You So Long? - Emerging Payments Strategies (FIS) - "So why has the U.S. not embraced EMV sooner? Part of the reason is because our fraud problem, while significant, has typically been among the lowest rates in the world among highly developed economically mature countries."
- What Android's KitKat means for NFC - Mobile Payments Today (Cherian Abraham) - "HCE means a lot more for private label issuers — who have a very inspired base of merchants looking to bridge the gap between private label cards and mobile — and now there is an alternative to clumsy, costly and complex orchestrations for provisioning cards."
- The power of love - TMG Blog - "When I switched credit cards recently, I started feeling love the first time I logged into my personal account page. I noticed that things I had purchased only minutes before were already listed, which was something I’d never seen with my previous provider."
- The challenge of being a Bitcoin trader - Financial Services Club Blog - "There is not attainable indication that the government understands Bitcoin correctly."
On the wires:
- All holds barred: Square obliterates deposit limits - "Square, the company making commerce easy for everyone, has eliminated holds and deposit limits on manually entered transactions in the U.S. Funds from both swiped and non-swiped payments will be deposited in merchants’ bank accounts within 1-2 business days..."
- InComm Unveils Mobile-Optimized Shopping Cart for Gift Card Purchase and Delivery
- PayAnywhere Brings Enhanced mPOS to Android - "The Android PayAnywhere 2.0 mPOS app works with the free PayAnywhere mobile credit card reader, which plugs into the audio jack of a supported Android device..."
- Xen Accounting Inc. among First Professional Accounting Firms in North America to Accept Bitcoins as Payments - "The collaboration between Xen Accounting and the Canadian Virtual Exchange, Canada’s first Bitcoin exchange, is among the first of its kind in terms of how professional service firms are dealing with this new digital currency."
- Technology Leader MasterCard Joins Smart Cities Council - "As a Smart Cities Council Global Lead Partner, MasterCard will work with the Council’s advisors and members to provide cities with better, safer and more secure payment methods."
- U.S. Companies Continue to Make B2B Payments by Check - AFP Survey - "The typical organization makes half its B2B payments by check, down from 81 percent in 2004," said Jim Kaitz, AFP's president and CEO.
- Most Consumers Pay Less than $7.50 a Month to Use a Prepaid Card as Primary Payment Tool - "...the majority of consumers who use a prepaid debit card to manage their finances do so for less than $7.50 per month, a cost advantage over a basic checking account."
- Byblos Bank Deploys Gemalto Bio-Sourced EMV Payment Card in Lebanon, Leading the First Green Banking Initiative of Its Kind in the Middle East - "In deploying these bio-sourced products, not only do we show our deep-rooted commitment for a sustainable and green environment, but we underline Byblos Bank's strategic vision in evaluating and managing the environmental impact of every policy, product or initiative that it takes," said Gilbert Zouein...
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Looking for consulting help from Glenbrook? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join Glenbrook's Carol Coye Benson and Scott Loftesness for our Glenbrook Payments Boot Camp on December 10-11th in Palo Alto, California!
- Glenbrook's Jacqueline Chilton will be speaking social media and payments at the W.net Northern California LINC Networking event being held November 14 at Google.
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews