Headline News is brought to you by Glenbrook Partners. Glenbrook provides payments strategy consulting and education services to payments professionals worldwide!
ON THE WEB
- The Fed Leaves Durbin Cap Unchanged Despite Ongoing Drop in Issuers’ Debit Card Costs - Digital Transactions - "Issuers subject to the Durbin Amendment’s pricing controls on debit card transactions experienced an overall average cost of 4.2 cents to authorize, clear, and settle these transactions in 2015, excluding fraud costs. That is half of the 9.4 cents the Fed calculated in 2011. The average was 4.6 cents in 2013."
- Amazon launches a beta of Go, a cashier-free, app-based food shopping experience - TechCrunch - "Customers use the Go app to enter the store, and once inside, some combination of sensors, computer vision and deep learning keep track of what’s taken off and returned to shelves inside a virtual cart. Once finished, the shopper just walks out and the company charges their Amazon account, along with a receipt."
- Guessing Credit Card Security Details - Schneier on Security - "Researchers have found that they can guess various credit-card-number security details by spreading their guesses around multiple websites so as not to trigger any alarms."
- Viber gets in-app mobile banking system - Mobile Commerce Daily - "“This is the only messaging platform that, through an API, can be directly integrated with banks’ existing digital banking channels.”"
- Cashless Economy Still a Fantasy for India - Bloomberg - "Problem is, while e-commerce is booming, India remains one of the most cash-dependent countries in the world. Just over half of the nation’s adults have bank accounts, a precursor to using digital payments. Roughly 98 percent of all transactions are in cash, with 11 percent of consumers using a debit card in 2015, while most retailers don’t accept cards. "
- Santander invests in B2B supply chain platform Tradeshift - Finextra - "Headquartered in San Francisco, Tradeshift operates a B2B e-commerce platform, connecting 800,000 companies across 190 countries. The company boasted a 250 percent growth rate in 2015 for its procure-to-pay capabilities, faster payments services and predictable cash flow services. "
- Artificial intelligence and the evolution of the fractal economy - TechCrunch blog - "Financial systems are larger than the sum of their parts. The underlying rules that govern them might seem simple, but what surfaces is dynamic, chaotic and somehow self-organizing. And the blood that flows through this fractal heartbeat is data."
ON THE WIRES
- Visa Checkout and Papa John’s Team Up to Bring Fans Free Pizza - "Continuing its quest to provide the best fan experience, Visa, an NFL Sponsor for more than 20 years, announced the availability of Visa Checkout with Papa John’s, the Official Pizza Sponsor of the NFL. Pizza and football fans can now spend more time building their favorite pizza and watching their team dominate on the field, and less time filling out payment and delivery information. For a limited time, Visa Checkout and Papa John’s are ensuring fans are well-fed by offering them a new deal: order any Papa John’s pizza on PapaJohns.com and pay using Visa Checkout, and get a free large 1-topping pizza with your next purchase."
- By adding giropay to its International payment method portfolio, Limonetik now offers Merchant access to 35 m. of German Consumers - ""With e-commerce globalisation, giropay is constantly looking at developing its network of International payment partners, especially in France." giropay has chosen Limonetik because of its simple implementation and its wide network of affiliated e-merchants interested in accessing the German e-commerce market. "Limonetik allows merchants to easily add giropay to their website's payment page. With Limonetik, we accelerate the availability of giropay in Europe", adds Joerg Schwitalla."
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are in Palo Alto, CA. See our fall schedule here. We hope to see you there!
- Payments Boot Camp - Palo Alto - December 6-7
- Insight Workshop - Palo Alto - Innovation in Payments - December 8
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!