Headline News is brought to you by Glenbrook Partners. Glenbrook provides payments strategy consulting and education services to payments professionals worldwide!
ON THE WEB
- Silicon Valley Tried to Upend Banks. Now It Works With Them. - New York Times Dealbook (Paywall) - "The venture capitalists who have invested billions of dollars in this wave of new financial technology — think Venmo and Bitcoin — have been left waiting for a breakout star that actually looks like a threat to even a part of the big banks’ business."
- Square Tops Sales Estimates on Growth of Bigger Merchants - Bloomberg - "Square Inc., the electronic-payments company run by Twitter Inc. Chief Executive Officer Jack Dorsey, topped sales estimates for the fourth quarter, bolstered by larger merchants that are contributing an increasing share of Square’s payments volume. The shares climbed as much as 9 percent in extended trading."
- Despite rising fraud, 80pc of consumers believe their info is secure: report - Mobile Commerce Daily - "A new report from ACI Worldwide illuminates a few of the drawbacks of an increasingly connected world, including a focus on the U.S., where only 54 percent of consumers trust third-party firms with personal and financial data."
- Banking Industry Addresses Diversity, Adding Women to Boards - New York Times Dealbook (Paywall) - "Banking and capital markets, often viewed as dominated by men, achieved high scores in a newly released survey measuring the diversity in their director ranks. In 2016, women made up 26 percent of the boards in the banking and capital markets industry, which tied with the retail industry, according to a survey conducted by PricewaterhouseCoopers. The average rate of women on boards of companies in the Standard & Poor’s 500-stock index was 21 percent."
- Messaging app Viber adds e-commerce button to sell you items inspired by your chats - TechCrunch - "Messaging app Viber is today announcing a new feature that taps into the bigger trend of messaging apps becoming multi-functional platforms, and also its ownership by e-commerce company Rakuten. Viber will start to present users with items for sale, inspired by your current chat, when you press a small shopping bag icon at the bottom of the screen and search for items. "
- Airbnb finalizes deal to buy social payments startup Tilt - TechCrunch - "Airbnb is obtaining the Tilt assets and will keep the app operational, at least for now. But some sources are characterizing this as more of an acqui-hire, because Airbnb is spending most of the money on retaining the team."
- MYOB acquires Paycorp in payments processing push - Finanical Review - "Accounting software company MYOB is pushing further into payment processing solutions, which it sees as a major growth opportunity for the business, thanks to the $48 million acquisition of Paycorp. The Paycorp purchase follows the company's launch of its PayDirect Mobile and PayDirect Online solutions in 2014 and 2016 respectively."
- Faster Than Lightning? 'Sprite' Paper Envisions New Bitcoin Payments - Coindesk - "Announced in early 2016, the Lightning Network, has been heralded as a promising solution to bitcoin's scaling challenges – one that, over the past year, has been inching closer to launch. However, a new paper has laid out the framework for another payment system that researchers claim would be even faster."
- Frank Abagnale, world-famous con-man, explains why technology won’t stop breaches - Ars Technica - "When credit card data is stolen, Abagnale explained, criminals "have to get rid of it right away"—because credit cards can be replaced and fraud stopped quickly. "But if it is someone's name, Social Security Number, and date of birth—they can't change [those things]. So the longer I keep the data, the more valuable it becomes when I go to sell it." Abagnale noted that some of the personal identity data stolen from the breach at TJ Maxx a decade ago is just starting to surface on the black market, for instance."
ON THE WIRES
- Mastercard Launches Digital Vendor Directory to Assist Customers with Their Tokenization and Digital Wallet Development Efforts - "The Digital Vendor Directory was developed to help Mastercard customers identify vendors they may engage to more easily and quickly tokenize and digitize card portfolios and deploy their own Masterpass-enabled digital wallets, using the service provider of their choice. The directory lists both global and regional vendors and provides information about each vendor’s digital offering and geographical presence. In addition, each vendor is assigned a level of standard, gold or platinum, reflecting the vendor’s readiness level in integrating with Masterpass and with the Mastercard Digital Enablement Service (MDES). "
- US Payments Forum Elects New Steering Committee to Provide Cross-industry Leadership and Guidance for US Payments Industry - "The U.S. Payments Forum and its leadership are making significant impacts in advancing the progress of payments technologies that protect the security of, and enhance opportunities for, payment transactions within the U.S. To propel the organization and its mission forward, the U.S. Payments Forum announced today its 2017-2018 Steering Committee and officers."
- IDT Introduces the BOSS Revolution Money App - "IDT Corporation (NYSE: IDT), a global provider of communications and payment services, today announced the introduction of BOSS Revolution Money. The new app lets users send money transfers, mobile airtime and electronic gift cards to family and friends easily and securely. "
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
The next Glenbrook Payments Boot Camp is March 7-8, 2017 in San Jose, CA. On March 9, still in San Jose, will be our Digital Payments Insight Workshop. Following that, our next public Boot Camp and Insight Workshop combination will be in New York City in April followed by Atlanta in May. Check out our spring schedule here. We hope to see you there!
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: firstname.lastname@example.org!