Headline News is brought to you by Glenbrook Partners. Glenbrook provides payments strategy consulting and education services to payments professionals worldwide!
ON THE WEB
- Silicon Valley Lender Raises Nearly $50 Million for Subprime Credit-Card Push - Wall Street Journal - "LendUp Global Inc., the startup online lender that has attempted to reinvent the payday loan, is plotting to take on a more mainstream financial product: the credit card. The San Francisco-based lender said it raised $47.5 million in an equity deal designed to expand its card business. The investment values LendUp at about $500 million, people familiar with the matter said."
- Android Pay adds Walgreens for first retail store loyalty card integration - 9to5Google - "To get the most out of purchases, users can add their Balance Rewards card information to the Android Pay app downloaded on Google Play. Before payment, members simply hold their Android device near the PIN pad and the appropriate rewards information is applied. To checkout, members then hold their Android device again near the PIN pad for payment. Android Pay is easy to set up and users will continue to receive all of the rewards and benefits offered by credit and debit cards."
- Shopify launches its POS app and card reader in the UK - Techcrunch - "Shopify is launching its retail hardware and point-of-sale app for merchants in the UK. The reader supports tap, chip and swipe payments, letting retailers accept both contactless and traditional card-based payments, and the free app works in tandem with the reader device on either iPhone or iPad."
- Digital Asset to Open Source Smart Contract Language - Coindesk - "Though no date has been set for the transition, the Blythe Masters-led blockchain startup credited its bid to "advance industry adoption" of the tech as the impetus for the move."
- Happy 25th birthday to the World Wide Web - CNET - "On August 23, 1991 -- 25 years ago today -- the public gained access for the first time to the World Wide Web, designed and deployed by computer scientist Tim Berners-Lee at CERN in Switzerland. It gave rise to the internet as we know and use it today. "
ON THE WIRES
- Yantra Financial Technologies Enable Disbursement of Loans in Real Time with BlastPay - "BlastPay was designed to streamline the disbursements process and facilitate the real-time availability of funds. With BlastPay, disbursements can be initiated using application programming interfaces (APIs) and submitted across multiple channels including cards, ACH and internal payments."
- Payza Incorporates Interac® Online Payment Method for Canadian Consumers and Businesses - "Payza members can load their accounts by transferring money from their Canadian bank accounts to their online Payza accounts for a flat rate of $1.50 CAD per transaction, up to $500 CAD. Payza merchants can accept payments from Canadian consumers via Interac® Online for fees starting at 2.5% + $0.79."
- OT, Compliant with Discover’s Latest Specifications on Dual Payment Cards - "OT’s Discover-certified EMV dual interface payment cards can be used to make payments simply by tapping them in front of a contactless terminal. It further strengthens OT’s wide EMV certified cards portfolio. Other functionalities, such as transport, micropayment or access control, can accompany Discover’s payment functionalities."
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are coming this fall - in Palo Alto, CA and New York City. See our fall schedule here. We hope to see you there!
- Payments Boot Camp - Palo Alto - October 11-12
- Insight Workshop - Palo Alto - Payment Data - October 13
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Among other positions, we're looking for an East Coast engagement manger. Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: firstname.lastname@example.org!