Headline News is brought to you by Glenbrook Partners. Glenbrook provides payments strategy consulting and education services to payments professionals worldwide!
ON THE WEB
- Money as Message: How WeChat got users to adopt payments as a way to grow its network - Andreessen Horowitz blog - "Network effects — where a product or service becomes more valuable to its users as more people use it — are one of the key ways software businesses maintain a better product and more defensible market position. This is especially true of messaging apps like WeChat — which, as I’ve argued before, is not just a messaging app but is actually more of a portal, a platform, and a mobile operating system. However you label it, WeChat is an entire ecosystem in and of itself, especially as it’s used in Asia. This is largely enabled by the sheer amount of payments credentials attached to user accounts, which significantly reduces friction in transacting across the marketplace, both online and offline."
- How One Community Bank Closed Its Branches And Went Fully Digital - The Financial Brand - "A few years ago, Radius Bank had six branches. Today it has only one. "
- In Rejecting Bitcoin as Money, Florida Court Sets Likely Precedent - Coindesk - "Observers say that the ruling exposes how state statutes don’t account for bitcoin and digital currencies – a gap that could ultimately lead to legislative action both in Florida and beyond."
- QR code payments get one step closer in China - Mobile Commerce News - "This form of transaction has already been in use in other countries for several years. However, for the last two years, QR code payments have been stuck in a regulatory midpoint without any real progress. This occurred when the central bank suspended this type of mobile wallet service, generating considerable controversy."
- Transistors will stop shrinking in 2021, but Moore’s law will live on - Ars Technica - "7 Transistors will stop shrinking after 2021, but Moore's law will probably continue, according to the final International Technology Roadmap for Semiconductors (ITRS)."
ON THE WIRES
- Visa to Open New Silicon Valley Office - "Visa Inc. (NYSE:V) today announced plans to open a new office in Silicon Valley as part of its continued efforts to accelerate digital commerce globally. The new 62,000 square foot facility, located in Palo Alto, will be a combination of office and collaboration spaces for approximately 300 Visa employees focused on technology research, business intelligence, data security and merchant solutions."
- WePay Crosses Atlantic with Integrated Payments for the U.K. - "WePay, the leading provider of payments-as-a-service for online platforms including crowdfunding and business software platforms like GoFundMe, FreshBooks, and Constant Contact, today announced its expansion into the United Kingdom. This means platforms can now serve U.K. users with the same fully-integrated, white label payments services they enjoy from WePay in the U.S. and Canada. WePay has also extended its best-in-class fraud risk protections, compliance and support offerings to new U.K. business."
- One Horizon Launches Android Mobile Wallet for Cashless Payments - "One Horizon Group, Inc. (NASDAQ: OHGI), a leading carrier-grade VoIP solution for mobile providers and smartphones, today announced that it has released a new service for mobile operators to allow users to purchase call credit using their debit or credit card. Our smartphone top up service is being offered first through Smart Communications, the Philippines leading wireless service provider for its Smart Roamer1 and Marino All Abroad2 mobile app brands."
- Discover Survey: Consumers Who Regularly Check Their Credit Score Say Doing So Improves Credit Behavior - "Survey results show that 73 percent of regular checkers – those who checked their credit score seven or more times in a year – said that checking their score had a positive impact on their credit behavior, such as paying bills on time, paying down loans and maintaining low balances on their credit cards."
- Netcetera to Safeguard Online Payments with Entersekt Authentication - "Entersekt, a world leader in authentication and mobile app security, has announced a partnership with Netcetera, a developer and operator of highly secure and convenient payment systems. Entersekt will provide the Zurich-headquartered company with push-based transaction authentication software engineered to protect card-based online payments through a highly secure but user-friendly adaptation of the 3-D Secure process."
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are coming this fall - in Palo Alto, CA and New York City - we hope to see you there!
- Payments Boot Camp - Palo Alto - October 11-12
- Insight Workshop - Palo Alto - Data in Payments - October 13
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: firstname.lastname@example.org!