On the web:
- Coming Soon? An Occupy Wall Street Debit Card - New York Times - "The idea, led by a group that includes a Cornell law professor, a former director of Deutsche Bank and a former British diplomat, is meant to serve people who do not have bank accounts, but it also aims to make Occupy a recognized financial services brand."
- How Much Will Judge Leon's Decision Whack DDA Revenues? - Pymnts.com (David Evans) - "The only ray of sunshine here for non-exempt debit card issuers is that between an appeal, maybe the Supremes, and a new rule making it could be a while before any of these reductions hit DDA and consumer banking P&Ls."
On the wires:
- Global Payments Names Jeffrey S. Sloan Chief Executive Officer - "Paul R. Garcia, Chairman of the Board, said, "Jeff is prepared to lead this company as its President and Chief Executive Officer. His decisive leadership and his deep experiences and knowledge across the entire business uniquely qualify him to successfully assume this role immediately. He is well respected throughout the industry and he embodies the company's core values."
- Experian to acquire device identification leader 41st Parameter - "41st Parameter will strengthen Experian's global web fraud detection and risk-based identity authentication capabilities."
- Leaf Closes $20 Million in Funding to Advance Open Commerce Platform and Mobile POS - "Leaf, creator of the LeafPresenterTM, a tablet specifically designed for commerce, today announced it has closed $20 million in its first round of institutional funding from Heartland Payment Systems, one of the nation’s largest payments processors and a leading provider of merchant business solutions."
- TNS and AJB Introduce Simplified Payments for Merchants - "Large merchants across North America can now relieve the headache of operating a complex payments infrastructure while at the same time position themselves for future growth thanks to a new managed service solution from Transaction Network Services (TNS) and AJB Software (AJB)."
- Adyen’s Global Mobile Payments Index Indicates 27 Percent Growth in Mobile Transactions in Past Four Months - "Adyen's Global Mobile Payments Index tracks the actual purchases on the platforms and can therefore also provide an insight into the monetization of mobile content by brand. iOS devices (iPhone and iPad) accounted for nearly 75% of all mobile transactions on Adyen’s platform (which equals 13.1% of all transactions, up from 11% at the end of April 2013) and Android devices were responsible for nearly 25% of mobile transactions (4.3% of all transactions, up from 3.1%)."
- mopay Signs Global Agreement with Telefónica Digital - "Under this agreement, mopay will be granted direct access to Telefónica’s billing platform, thus connecting mopay directly to the telco’s subscriber base worldwide. Consumers using mopay can purchase digital goods and services frictionlessly in nine countries where Telefónica Services are currently available and charge the purchases to their phone bill."
- Debit Card Swipe Fee Reform Lowered Prices - "A new economic report released today by the Merchants Payments Coalition shows that debit card swipe fee reform saved consumers and merchants billions of dollars in 2012, as anticipated by Congress when it passed debit reform legislation in 2010."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Looking for consulting help from Glenbrook? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join us for our new series of Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps coming this October - 8th/9th in the San Francisco Bay Area and 23rd/24th in New York City!
- Glenbrook's Allen Weinberg and Erin McCune will be at Money2020 in Las Vegas October 6-10 - please reach out to them directly to catch up in person or set up a briefing at the conference. Erin will be moderating an Invoicing, Billing & Collections panel with Bill.com CEO Rene Lacerte, Billtrust CEO Flint Lane and Billhighway Chairman Vince Thomas.
- Glenbrook's Elizabeth McQuerry will be speaking at this year's NACHA Global Payments Forum on October 17-18 in New York City. She'll be speaking on the topic "Mobile Payments, Interoperability & Faster Funds Transfer".
- Glenbrook's Carol Coye Benson will be speaking at this year's American Bankers Association Annual Convention on October 20-22 in New Orleans. She'll be participating in a panel discussion on The Future of the Payments Industry.
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews