Headline News is brought to you by Glenbrook Partners. Glenbrook provides payments strategy consulting and education services to payments professionals worldwide!
ON THE WEB
- The year of chip: U.S. shows strong growth in 2016 - Visa blog - "During 2016, the number of Visa chip cards issued in the U.S. increased by 92 percent, totaling 408.1 million cards. In addition, the number of merchants who implemented chip-enabled terminals more than doubled, totaling 1.81 million. This represents 39 percent of all merchant locations— with 82 percent of them being small- and medium-sized businesses—and 49 percent of total payment volume. "
- Solving the Card Not Present false decline puzzle - Payments Cards & Mobile - "In recent years, the payments industry has started to view the growing Card Not Present fraud problem through an entirely different lens. Card Not Present Key findingsToday, the overwhelming consensus is that the Card Not Present fraud problem, while increasingly costly, ultimately drives a much larger card acceptance problem."
- PayPal Has Been Talking With Amazon on Payments, CEO Says - Bloomberg - "Amazon.com Inc. and PayPal Holdings Inc. have discussed letting shoppers pay for Amazon purchases using their PayPal accounts, highlighting how PayPal can attract new partners since its 2015 split from Amazon rival EBay Inc."
- Starbucks must ease mobile order pileup to get customers in line - Reuters - "Starbucks' coffee shops are suffering from a feared consequence of the mobile revolution: the digital world can dump an avalanche of orders in a short period of time, creating delays and lines that scare away customers."
- Venezuelan officials arrest four Bitcoin miners on charges of stealing electricity - Ars Technica - "Reason magazine published an article a few months ago detailing how, amid the collapse of Venezuela’s economy, people are turning to Bitcoin mining as a way to stay afloat. The country’s government heavily subsidizes electricity to the point where it costs about $0.02/kWh according to research project ClimateScope, so electricity-intensive Bitcoin mining sees a better return on investment in Venezuela than it might in a country with more expensive electricity."
ON THE WIRES
- Chinese New Year Gift-Giving goes Mobile & Gamified in the USA - "Today, the Surpriise App (www.surpriise.me), a digital gift giving app recently featured on the Ellen Degeneres Show and Live with Kelly, launched a new feature that allows users to send these envelopes of money to each other electronically. Givers must first download the app then they can send specified amounts of money (in the form of a PayPal money transfer or a digital Pre-Paid Visa card) to a group of friends in their contact list and put the cash up for grabs to the first person who beats a high score in one of 3 fun mini-games. "
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are in San Jose, CA, New York, NY, and Atlanta, GA. See our spring schedule here. We hope to see you there!
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- Join us at the 2017 FinTech Georgia Symposium February 9! Glenbrook is a proud sponsor of the 2017 FinTech Georgia symposium. Join us for this great event on February 9 in Atlanta. Reach out to Glenbrook's Elizabeth McQuerry, a board member of the Technology Association of Georgia, to schedule a meeting with the Glenbrook partners in town for the symposium.
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!