Headline News is brought to you by Glenbrook Partners. Glenbrook provides payments strategy consulting and education services to payments professionals worldwide!
ON THE WEB
- Euronet’s $1 Billion MoneyGram Bid Could Prompt Bidding War - New York Times - "The financial transaction provider Euronet Worldwide said on Tuesday that it had made an unsolicited bid to acquire MoneyGram for about $1 billion in cash, igniting a potential bidding war for the money-transfer firm."
- Send and request money in your Gmail app on Android - Google blog - "Sending money in Gmail is as easy as sending any other attachment. Just tap on the attachment icon and choose whether you want to send or request money. Recipients are able to receive or request money right from the email itself—without having to install another payment app. They can even arrange for money they receive to go directly into their bank account. Either way, it’s completely free for both of you."
- Digital food ordering accounts for 1.9B visits yearly: report - Mobile Commerce Daily - "The market for digital food service ordering has now reached a total 1.9 billion food service visits annually. "
- How can API standardisation be achieved in the context of PSD2? - Payments Cards & Mobile - "As all PSPs prepare for the implementation of PSD2, how can interoperability between APIs be achieved to optimise investment costs for all stakeholders (PSPs, e-merchants, Third party Payment Providers or TPPs), and ensure a smooth implementation of PSD2?"
- Tag Heuer unveils connected watch range with Android Pay - NFC World - "Luxury watchmaker Tag Heuer has unveiled the second generation of its connected watch range, powered by Google’s Android Wear 2.0 operating system and offering host card emulation (HCE) payments through Android Pay."
- Visa partners with Stubhub to get young consumers into mobile payments - Mobile Commerce Daily - "The partnership will see Visa integrating its mobile payments system into Stubhub’s mobile platform in an effort to drive up ticketing sales and get more Visa users accustomed to mobile payments. The partnership will hopefully enrich both brands as they attempt to get more customers interested in mobile payments."
- PAYMENT DATA SYSTEMS TO SNAP UP SINGULAR PAYMENTS - Cards International - "Payment Data Systems, an integrated electronic payment solutions provider, has agreed to acquire Singular Payments, a Fintech payments provider, for an undisclosed sum. Singular Payments processes payments for merchants in healthcare and other niche verticals across the US. It also provides a simple, flat rate pricing model which saves merchants both time and money when accepting credit and debit payments. "
ON THE WIRES
- Volante Technologies enables accelerated implementations of global real-time payments initiatives with VolPay Hub: RTP Suite - "Volante Technologies, a global leader in the provision of payments and financial message integration, processing and orchestration software, today announces its ability to help banks embrace real-time payments in the US and in other countries around the globe with its VolPay Hub: RTP Suite. The new solution launches with its first of several RTP processors -- the TCH RTP Processor Module, to support The Clearing House RTP Initiative. Volante's solution is one of the industry's most advanced to date, and is to be piloted by a top ten US-based bank and TCH."
- CARDFREE Research Shows Mobile Wallet Apps Increase Frequency by 2x - "CARDFREE, the leading mobile wallet provider to large merchants, announced today that research across its platform shows that mobile consumers increase their visit frequency, ultimately doubling visits before stabilizing out to the new norm. In examining visit patterns across users, CARDFREE research found that time between visits would decrease with each successive app use until about the 6th visit where users would normalize. On average, consumers who started out at a frequency of twice a month would increase visits to weekly and continue to maintain the new frequency level."
- 41 million merchants worldwide choose UnionPay - "Latest data show that more than 41 million merchants and over 2 million ATMs across 160 countries and regions accept UnionPay cards. Over 10 million online merchants based outside mainland China support UnionPay Online Payment."
- Identity fraud reaches record levels - "Cifas, the UK’s leading fraud prevention service, has released new figures showing that identity fraud has hit the highest levels ever recorded. A record 172,919 identity frauds were recorded in 2016 more than in any other previous year. Identity fraud now represents over half of all fraud recorded by the UK’s not-for-profit fraud data sharing organisation (53.3% of all frauds recorded to Cifas), of which 88% was perpetrated online. "
- Sionic Mobile, Customer Engagement Technologies Partner to Provide Mobile Loyalty and Payments to Underbanked - "Sionic Mobile and Customer Engagement Technologies (CET) today announced a partnership to provide mobile loyalty and instant universal rewards to the underbanked. PaySwag, a mobile app by CET that works on improving the payment experience for the underbanked, is integrating Sionic Mobile’s ION Commerce Engine™ (ICE) to enable the loading of cash into a mobile wallet, allowing app users to pay for purchases with their phones and instantly earn rewards via the Mobile Rewards MarketplaceTM which includes more than 100,000 retail locations. Additionally, the PaySwag-ICE integration will utilize credit and debit card processing through J.P. Morgan Chase."
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next public Boot Camp and Insight Workshop series is April 18-20 in New York City followed by Atlanta, May 16-18. Come for the two day boot camp or attend all three days. Check out our spring schedule here. We hope to see you there!
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!