Headline News is brought to you by Glenbrook Partners. Glenbrook provides payments strategy consulting and education services to payments professionals worldwide!
ON THE WEB
- SEC shoots down Winklevii bitcoin ETF - Axios - "The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission today decided not to mainstream bitcoin, by ruling that it will not permit the public listing of an ETF (exchange traded fund) that would have effectively allowed people to buy and sell the digital currency like stock."
- Smart Card Alliance reveals new name and focus - Mobile Payments Today - "The Smart Card Alliance, a nonprofit long known for its advocacy of smart card technology, is expanding its charter to include a broader range of security and privacy-enhancing technologies. Reflecting its expanded mission, the Smart Card Alliance is changing its name to the Secure Technology Alliance, according to a press release."
- Korea’s top financial services startup lands $48M from PayPal and others - TechCrunch - "Viva Republica, the company behind Korean financial services app Toss, has closed a $48 million Series C funding round that includes a strategic investment from payment giant PayPal. "
- VeriFone Looks to the Future as the U.S. EMV Conversion Takes a Breather - Digital Transactions News - "One of the opportunities chief executive Paul Galant announced was a new portal for third-party software developers to create applications that run on VeriFone platforms. He also said VeriFone will place its fuel-pump media business in a joint venture with Detroit-based Destination Media Inc.’s Gas Station TV."
- Bitcoin Exchange Bitso Trials Canada-Mexico Remittance Service - Coindesk - "Mexican bitcoin exchange Bitso has been working with Canadian payments startup Paycase to create a new remittance corridor between the two countries."
- Back-to-Basics Weekend Reading: The Foundations of Blockchain - All Things Distributed blog - "When we look at the foundation of blockchain, there are three papers from the nineties that describe different components whose principles found its way into blockchain. "
ON THE WIRES
- JPMorgan Chase to Acquire MCX “FinTech” Payments Technology for Chase Pay - "JPMorgan Chase (NYSE:JPM) has agreed to acquire MCX’s payments technology to help expand Chase Pay, the mobile and digital wallet for Chase customers. MCX, a network of America’s largest merchants, was the premier launch partner for Chase Pay in October 2015. The transaction is expected to close in the coming weeks."
- Papa John’s Establishes Itself as Alternative Payments Leader Among National Pizza Chains and Releases New Pizza Tracker - "Papa John’s International (NASDAQ: PZZA) has reinforced its commitment to providing a better customer experience with enhancements to its digital ordering process. Today, the brand announced the addition of PayPal as a digital payment option, and the introduction of Papa Track – a digital pizza tracker that allows customers to follow the pizza process from the oven to delivery."
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next public Boot Camp and Insight Workshop series is April 18-20 in New York City followed by Atlanta, May 16 - 18. Come for the two day boot camp or attend all three days. Check out our spring schedule here. We hope to see you there!
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: firstname.lastname@example.org!