Headline News is brought to you by Glenbrook Partners. Glenbrook provides payments strategy consulting and education services to payments professionals worldwide!
ON THE WEB
- Euronet Bids to Take Over MoneyGram, Topping Jack Ma's Ant - Bloomberg - "Euronet is offering $15.20 for each share of MoneyGram and would assume $940 million of the company’s debt, according to a statement Tuesday. The deal would value MoneyGram, a U.S. money-transfer service with a network of 2.4 billion bank and mobile accounts, at more than $1 billion and is a 15 percent premium over Ant’s proposal, Euronet said."
- Some Data from Chase May Show How the Fledgling Zelle Could Outrun PayPal’s Venmo - Digital Transactions News - "But while that kind of growth has all eyes riveted on Venmo, an older, less celebrated P2P product is actually well ahead of the PayPal service and racking up respectable growth of its own. Chase disclosed last week at an investor day presentation that its QuickPay app processed $28 billion last year, up 38% over 2015, on 94 million transactions. While Venmo is undeniably enjoying sizzling growth, its dollar volume in 2016 came to $17.6 billion, less than two-thirds of QuickPay’s total. Chase also revealed that 4 million households are using QuickPay, a 30% increase in one year."
- Bitcoin Miners Signal Revolt Amid Sluggish Blockchain - Bloomberg - "While speculators continue to push the value of the digital money to record highs against the U.S. dollar, the system that verifies bitcoin transactions -- known as the blockchain -- is more backlogged than at any point in the currency’s eight-year history. The number of transactions awaiting verification is up more than fivefold from a year ago, and the jam is forcing users to pay increasingly high fees to speed up confirmations, which in some cases is making bitcoin more expensive to use than Visa Inc. or PayPal Holdings Inc."
- Instant payments: lessons learned from early adopters - Payments Cards & Mobile - "The ability to offer instant payments has become a necessity for banks around the world as they keep up with customer expectations and set themselves up strategically for the future."
- Boston Fed Team Puts Mobile Payments to the Test - FRB Boston - "While consumer awareness of mobile and digital wallets is growing, many are still unfamiliar with how wallets actually work and have yet to try making a mobile payment. Several critical factors help enable mobile payments and foster greater consumer usage. For example, to use a “Pay” wallet, i.e., Apple Pay, Android Pay, or Samsung Pay, consumers must have near field communication- (NFC) enabled mobile phones, while digital wallets, such as Visa Checkout and Masterpass, are device-agnostic. Consumers must also have credit or debit cards that their issuing banks support for the specific Pay wallet. Finally, consumers need retail locations to use mobile and digital wallets, so merchant acceptance is key."
ON THE WIRES
- Industry Bodies Align to Standardize On-Device NFC Service Management - "ETSI, GlobalPlatform and the NFC Forum today detailed a standardized approach to implementing and managing NFC services across all technologies and platforms. The shared work initiative explains how to ensure that NFC services successfully coexist within a device and operate as intended."
- E la Carte Announces PrestoPrime™ EMV - The Best Pay-at-Table Experience Available - "E la Carte, Inc., creators of the Presto™ System for full-service restaurants, today announced its state-of-the-art next generation product, the PrestoPrime EMV Terminal. The PrestoPrime EMV Terminal is the best pay-at-table experience available on the market, with the highest levels of security available along with future-proof capability and unparalleled guest and server ease-of-use."
- ShopKeep Acquires ChowBOT™ Online Order and Delivery Solution - "ShopKeep, the cloud-based technology solution that transforms an iPad into a smart, connected cash register that is used by more than 23,000 small businesses, today announced that it has acquired the online ordering software, ChowBOT™, from Meerchant™. The acquisition serves to enable online ordering, payment and delivery options for ShopKeep’s 8,500 and growing quick-serve (QSR) and full service restaurant and bars (FSRB)."
- Payza India Launches Online Household Bills Payment App - "Payza, a leading global online payment platform, announced today that it has launched an online Utility Bill Payments service for Indian customers. Payza has teamed up with India's most popular household utility and telecommunications service providers for the initial launch of the program, a list that includes Airtel, Tata Sky, Tata Docomo, Vodafone, Reliance, DishTV, MTNL, BSNL, and many others."
- Payix® Launches as New Company Providing Mobile Collections App and Payment Processing Solutions to U.S. Lenders and Auto Dealers - "Payix® announced it has launched as a new company providing collections tools, payment processing resources and business intelligence solutions to U.S. lenders and auto dealers. Offering white-label services and real-time loan management system (LMS) integration, the fintech firm helps its clients connect with their borrowers and improve their ability to collect payments – especially with Payix’s intuitive, engaging and affordable mobile collections application."
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next public Boot Camp and Insight Workshop series is April 18-20 in New York City followed by Atlanta, May 16-18. Come for the two day boot camp or attend all three days. Check out our spring schedule here. We hope to see you there!
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!