Headline News is brought to you by Glenbrook Partners. Glenbrook provides payments strategy consulting and education services to payments professionals worldwide!
ON THE WEB
- Javelin, Visa offer different takes on whether card fraud is moving online - CSO - "According to a report released last week by Javelin, card-not-present fraud went up 40 percent this year, but according to a new report from Visa, there has been no increase in online fraud."
- Apple Pay Now Supported by 36% of Merchants in United States - MacRumors - "Apple Pay is now accepted by 36 percent of merchants in the United States, according to research conducted by retail consulting firm Boston Retail Partners and shared by NFC World. That's up from 16 percent last year."
- Samsung to bring Mini version of Samsung Pay to all Android handsets - NFC World - "Samsung is to launch a pared-down version of Samsung Pay which will make the mobile payments service available on all Android handsets. The Samsung Pay Mini app will support certain features of the original platform, including membership, lifestyle, transportation and online payments, and will be available first in South Korea from the first quarter of 2017, the company says."
- A rash of invisible, fileless malware is infecting banks around the globe - Ars Technica - "Now, fileless malware is going mainstream, as financially motivated criminal hackers mimic their nation-sponsored counterparts. According to research Kaspersky Lab plans to publish Wednesday, networks belonging to at least 140 banks and other enterprises have been infected by malware that relies on the same in-memory design to remain nearly invisible. Because infections are so hard to spot, the actual number is likely much higher."
- Arizona Bill Would Make Blockchain Smart Contracts 'Legal' - Coindesk - "The bill is somewhat akin to another measure put forward in Vermont that would make blockchain records admissible as evidence in court. In both cases, state law is amended to create a kind of legal backing for blockchain-based information."
- All CIOs Want For 2017…Is Unified Commerce - Retail Touch Points - "Unified commerce goes beyond omnichannel by enabling a single, holistic platform, combining in-store, mobile, e-Commerce and every other function throughout the enterprise. As such, it is quickly becoming the new retail imperative. While just 18% of retailers have implemented a unified commerce platform, another 57% plan to do so within three years."
- Barclaycard, VocaLink enable merchants to accept mobile payments through Pay by Bank app - Contactless Intelligence - "Barclaycard is partnering with VocaLink to enable its merchants to accept mobile payments through Pay by Bank app. Pay by Bank app will allow shoppers to pay quickly and securely for goods and services on a mobile device, without the need to enter credit or debit card details. By using Pay by Bank app payment button at the point of purchase, customers can login to their mobile banking app which will seamlessly authorise and complete the transaction."
- ‘Dark Web’ Sites Hit in Cyberattack - Wall Street Journal - "A network of websites used by hackers and others to anonymously share information has itself been hit by a cyberattack."
- Banks are finally sprouting anew in America - Wall Street Journal - "President Donald Trump last week signed executive actions aimed at unwinding parts of the 2010 Dodd-Frank Act. Some in the financial industry hope reduced regulation will spur broader interest in starting community banks and, over time, more lending that will bolster economic growth."
- How AI Will Become the Most Defining Technology for the Banking Industry - Let’s Talk Payments - "Artificial intelligence is here to stay, and 2017 will be about the adoption of ML/AI by the FinTech community and beyond. Experts agree that FinTech companies will harness this technology to make better decisions and offer improved solutions – they will make use of predictive analytics to break down big data and analyze large volumes of consumer information."
ON THE WIRES
- Adyen Increases Transaction Volume to $90 Billion in 2016, Nearly Doubling Year-over-Year - "Adyen, the leading payments technology company, today announced the company increased transaction volume 80 percent year-over-year, totaling $90 billion in 2016. Adyen also made significant traction in the retail market, unveiling successful in-store and omnichannel payment solutions for customers like Tory Burch and Burberry."
- Gartner Says 8.4 Billion Connected "Things" Will Be in Use in 2017, Up 31 Percent From 2016 - "Gartner, Inc. forecasts that 8.4 billion connected things will be in use worldwide in 2017, up 31 percent from 2016, and will reach 20.4 billion by 2020. Total spending on endpoints and services will reach almost $2 trillion in 2017. Regionally, Greater China, North America and Western Europe are driving the use of connected things and the three regions together will represent 67 percent of the overall Internet of Things (IoT) installed base in 2017."
- Chase Pay and New Partners Bring Payment Convenience to Customers on the Go - "Chase customers will soon be able to use Chase Pay® while on-the-go with two new merchants – global restaurateur HMSHost and Parkmobile. HMSHost is the leading food and beverage provider for travel venues, while Parkmobile enables users to pay for parking in cities around the country through their app."
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are in San Jose, CA, New York, NY, and Atlanta, GA. See our spring schedule here. We hope to see you there!
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- Join us at the 2017 FinTech Georgia Symposium February 9! Glenbrook is a proud sponsor of the 2017 FinTech Georgia symposium. Join us for this great event on February 9 in Atlanta. Reach out to Glenbrook's Elizabeth McQuerry, a board member of the Technology Association of Georgia, to schedule a meeting with the Glenbrook partners in town for the symposium.
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!