Headline News is brought to you by Glenbrook Partners. Glenbrook provides payments strategy consulting and education services to payments professionals worldwide!
ON THE WEB
- Mobile wallet spend to increase by more than 30pc this year: report - Mobile Commerce Daily - "“International mobile wallet companies like WeChat and Alipay certainly have the traction in a global market to contest PayPal’s 77+ percent U.S. market penetration — the big question is not if they will or are able to contest this, but when,” said Marci Troutman, CEO of SiteMinis. “With the current administration the U.S. market may hesitate to allow a significant penetration, but with a solid plan to nitch away at PayPal’s current penetration in full swing, and given the proposed number of visitors from China in 2017 to the U.S., a large bite could indeed be taken from PayPal in the next 8-10 years.”"
- Barclaycard teams with VocaLink for mobile payments - Banking Technology - "By partnering with VocaLink, Barclaycard will work with its merchants to provide an ecommerce gateway – to authorise and process payments made through the app. This means that when a transaction is made, the payment is taken from the shopper’s bank account and deposited into the retailer’s account in “almost real time”. Whether users are registering for the first time or paying with a mobile, the app uses the bank’s own security methods to verify the user. In addition to the bank security, Pay by Bank app customers can see their account balances before they pay."
- GlobalPlatform framework gives consumers control over their own secure element section - NFC World - "GlobalPlatform has released a new framework that gives consumers control over which secure applications can be used within part of the secure element (SE) of their trusted devices, without compromising security for the SE as a whole. The model “forms a blueprint for a move away from the issuer-centric model to putting the consumer in control”, the standards body says."
- Law Firm Hogan Lovells Learns to Grapple with Blockchain Contracts - Wall Street Journal CIO Journal blog - "A blockchain distributed ledger may not replace all lawyers, but one firm is studying how the technology could eliminate many of the manual steps typically needed to execute contracts. New York City-based law firm Hogan Lovells is experimenting with so called smart contracts and exploring the legal and organizational issues raised by the agreements executed automatically using blockchain."
ON THE WIRES
- Masterpass by Mastercard Expands Payment Options for Thousands of Merchants - "Mastercard today announced that Masterpass is now accepted at more than 10,000 small- and medium-sized merchants leveraging Sage Payment Solutions, a value added payment solution provided by Sage North America. The partnership enables merchants to leverage Masterpass to provide the speed, simplicity and security of digital payments to their customers."
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are in San Jose, CA, New York, NY, and Atlanta, GA. See our spring schedule here. We hope to see you there!
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- Join us at the 2017 FinTech Georgia Symposium February 9! Glenbrook is a proud sponsor of the 2017 FinTech Georgia symposium. Join us for this great event on February 9 in Atlanta. Reach out to Glenbrook's Elizabeth McQuerry, a board member of the Technology Association of Georgia, to schedule a meeting with the Glenbrook partners in town for the symposium.
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: firstname.lastname@example.org!