ON THE WEB
- Venmo Kills Off Developer API With Zero Warning - TechCrunch - "After six years of providing an API for developers to build experiences atop its money transfer system, this month Venmo suddenly shut down the API. "
- Travel in London for Free With Apple Pay - PC Magazine - "As part of a promotion from MasterCard and Apple, each Monday beginning on Feb. 29, from 4:30 a.m. until 1 a.m. the next morning, MasterCard-linked Apple Pay users will have their purchases on buses, trams, the Underground, and most other rail services refunded up to 28.10 pounds ($39)."
- How Mobile Payments Reshape Lifestyles - Wall St. Journal - "Piao Jianfeng says he seldom carries his wallet and hasn’t used an ATM to withdraw cash for two years. Instead, his phone is his wallet, and he uses it to pay for almost all of his everyday needs in Beijing, from taxis to utilities and grocery bills."
- Intel is Testing a Blockchain it Built With a Fantasy Sports Game - CoinDesk - "The proof of concept works by enabling the exchange of digitized assets that represent shares of different sports teams."
ON THE WIRES
- UK Payment Systems Regulator: "Banks should sell their stake in UK payments infrastructure to help increase innovation and competition - "The evidence published today indicates that the common ownership of this infrastructure provider by this small number of banks is having a negative impact on innovation and competition in the industry. As a result, the PSR is proposing that these banks sell part of their stakes in VocaLink in order to open the market and allow for more effective competition and innovation."
- Wirex: A Hybrid Financial Platform That Uses Blockchain Technology - "Wirex is the first service of its kind to provide bankless financial services, and it is designed to close the gap between digital and traditional currencies for everyday financial transactions. Evolving to fill the needs of the global citizen, Wirex will offer 3 main services: convenient mobile banking via the Wirex app, instant remittance services, and upgraded 2-way debit cards that allow on-demand conversion between bitcoin and traditional currencies."
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are coming up in early April - both in New York City - we hope to see you there!
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!