ON THE WEB
- Visa Takes 10% Stake in Payments Startup Square - Wall St. Journal - "Visa Inc. has taken a 10% stake in Square Inc., making Visa one of the mobile-payment startup’s biggest shareholders."
- How Alibaba is helping Paytm think differently about ecommerce in India - TechInAsia - "Paytm has a few tricks up its sleeve that might help it win the ecommerce game in India. Will they be enough?"
- The curious state of UK “peer-to-peer” lending - FT Alphaville - "The question that needs to be answered is what makes so-called peer-to-peer particularly deserving of lighter touch regulation. Why not, for example, the broader speciality finance sector?"
- The Horror Of The EMV User Experience Fail - Medium (Brian Roemmele) - "Read on, it is the consumer that will face the largest elements of the EMV shift. It will get very bad before it get better."
- Using your chip card at some stores and not at others? Here’s why. - Washington Post - “No country has achieved anywhere near 100 percent EMV readiness at the time of the liability shift,” said Erik Vlugt, vice president of global product management at Verifone.
- ASX Details Blockchain Strategy in Financial Update - CoinDesk - "We believe that distributed ledger technology has the potential to change the way our market operates end-to-end, reduce risk and costs for our clients, speed-up the settlement process for investors, and support new services for listed companies."
- How to prepare for the coming startup storm - Medium (Jeff Haynie) - "Stop. Spending. Right. Now."
- Checkouts with Apple Pay - Macdrifter - "I really hope this is the future. Can this be the future? Please, let's do this."
- How Can Cryptocurrency and Blockchain Technology Play a Role in Building Social and Solidarity Finance? - UN RISD - "This paper provides a primer on the basics of Bitcoin and discusses the existent narratives about the technology’s potential to facilitate remittances, financial inclusion, cooperative structures and even micro-insurance systems."
ON THE WIRES
- Payment Processor Involved in The Tax Club Telemarketing Scheme Settles FTC Charges - "Capital Payments LLC, an Independent Sales Organization (ISO), has agreed to settle Federal Trade Commission charges that it enabled a telemarketing scheme called The Tax Club to use merchant accounts to process consumers’ credit card payments."
- Western Union Urges Consumers to Stay Alert for IRS Impersonation Phone Scam - "The scammers, involved in incidents nationwide, claim to be employees of the IRS, alter caller ID to make it look like the IRS is calling and use false names and IRS identification badge numbers."
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Here's a quick reminder that we have two of our Glenbrook payments education events coming up later this month - both in Palo Alto, California - we hope to see you there!
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
- Glenbrook’s Carol Coye Benson will be at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona February 22-25. Let her know if you will be there!
- Real Time Payments in the US: Implications for the Payment Industry - Atlanta, GA - February 10, 2016. Glenbrook's Elizabeth McQuerry will be moderating this discussion on what "faster payments" really means, how it's been implemented in other countries, and how it may shape banking and how we pay.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!