Headline News is brought to you by Glenbrook Partners. Glenbrook provides payments strategy consulting and education services to payments professionals worldwide!
ON THE WEB
- The ITU Digital Financial Services Focus Group Wraps Up - Glenbrook’s Payments Views - "Glenbrook’s Carol Coye Benson and Allen Weinberg were active members of the group: Carol ran the “Ecosystem Working Group” and Allen led a group of people on in-depth research and exploration of topics relating to merchant acceptance of payments in emerging economies. Glenbrook partner Elizabeth McQuerry was at the closing session, participating on a panel discussion of “New Frontiers in Regulation.”"
- The OCC’s Proposed Fintech Charter: If It Walks Like a Bank and Quacks Like a Bank, It’s a Bank - Paul Hastings blog - "The OCC recognizes that the demographics of the financial marketplace also are changing with 85 million millennials becoming consumers of financial services—a demographic that has come of age using and relying on technology. As the Whitepaper notes, these market forces have resulted in technology-driven nonbank companies seeking new ways to deliver financial products and services. While frequently viewed as competition to traditional banks, given the challenges of bank regulation, technology companies frequently consider whether to become banks themselves. The Fintech Bank Charter may be a vehicle to do so. "
- Introducing the new Google Wallet experience on the web - Google blog - "We're excited to introduce the new Google Wallet web experience (wallet.google.com) just in time for the holidays. Available across all browsers, the updated Wallet website has a brand new look and added features, which will make planning that New Year's trip with friends a breeze."
- London fintech startup Curve brings mobile wallet and all-your-cards-in-one app to Android - TechCrunch - "The mobile wallet lets you sync your debit and credit cards into a single app and to the accompanying Curve card powered by MasterCard. You then simply select which card you want the Curve card to act as a conduit for any payments you make offline or online, meaning you only need to carry a single physical card with you."
- GoDaddy adds Apple Pay support for its customers’ mobile sites - Mobile Commerce Daily - "GoDaddy is bringing Apple Pay to its Online Store platform, letting Web site owners who use its platform to accept mobile payments and increasing mobile sales."
- ‘Billion-Dollar Desktop Days’ on a Record Run - eMarketer - "Since Thanksgiving, daily online purchasing via desktop computers has topped $1 billion for 19 straight days through Monday, far surpassing last year’s record of nine consecutive billion-dollar days, according to comScore."
- Barclaycard Henry’s Café and Bar London bar tests contactless self-serve beer pump - NFC World - "The Pay @ Pump device has been designed by Barclaycard, following research by the company that revealed more than a quarter of British consumers (28%) are calling for contactless payments to be made available in every pub and bar nationwide. Some 19% said they would like to see pubs and bars install contactless beer pumps."
ON THE WIRES
- Cubic Receives Contract for Trial of Open Loop Payment Fare Ticketing in Sydney, Australia - "Cubic Transportation Systems (CTS), a business unit of Cubic Corporation (NYSE:CUB), announced today that it has received a contract worth US$7.6 million, or AU$10.2 million, from Transport for New South Wales (TfNSW) to deliver a trial of an open loop payments ticketing technology to Sydney, Australia’s largest city."
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Glenbrook's 2016 boot camps are done but there's more to look forward to. Our next Glenbrook payments education events are in San Jose, CA, New York, NY, and Atlanta, GA. See our spring schedule here. We hope to see you there!
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!