Headline News is brought to you by Glenbrook Partners. Glenbrook provides payments strategy consulting and education services to payments professionals worldwide!
ON THE WEB
- Morgan Stanley Plans to Drop Out of R3 Blockchain Group - Wall Street Journal CIO Journal - "It’s the latest major bank to retreat from R3, which is exploring the use of the blockchain distributed database technology in Wall Street infrastructure. The WSJ reported Monday that Goldman Sachs Group Inc. dropped out of R3 when it let its membership lapse and declined to invest equity. Banco Santander SA also recently dropped out, Reuters reported."
- Visa Chip Card Update: October 2016 - Visa Infographic (PDF) - "More than 1.7M merchants are now accepting chip cards, a 191% increase in the last year."
- MASSIVE YEAR-LONG CREDIT CARD BREACH REPORTED AT MADISON SQUARE GARDEN - WABC - "The venue said it found signs of external unauthorized access in the last week of October. It would have impacted some customers who used their credit card to purchase merchandise and/or food/drink items at Madison Square Garden, the Theater at Madison Square Garden, Radio City Music Hall, Beacon Theater, and Chicago Theater between November 9, 2015 and October 24, 2016."
- Winners and Losers From India's Cash Ban - Bloomberg (VIDEO) - "While India's war on cash may have hurt some, there have been at least two winners - Visa and MasterCard. Analysts predict that the world's largest payment networks will see a surge in transactions. Bloomberg's Harsha Subramaniam reports on "Bloomberg Markets.""
- SECURITY AND CONVENIENCE WHEN SHOPPING ONLINE: DOES MONOPOLY OR COMPETITION KEEP US SAFER? - Disruptive Competition Project - "The European Banking Authority is currently redrafting a standard security process for banks and retailers that accept payments. This will implement the updated EU Payment Services Directive (II). It proposes that all online transactions follow a model called ‘strong authentication’. This involves transactions being approved by banks before they can be accepted. So in the future every time you make a simple online transaction with Zalando, BlaBlacar, Amazon, Carrefour or others it would need to be approved by a bank."
ON THE WIRES
- Diebold Nixdorf And Australia's Cuscal Ltd. Test New Beacon Technology To Enhance Consumer Experience - "Beacon technology, working in conjunction with consumers' mobile applications and Bluetooth, can enable financial institutions to detect and identify consumers as they approach an ATM or branch lobby. Utilizing beacon technology allows financial institutions to proactively tailor one-to-one marketing offers based on data such as the consumers' personal preferences and financial needs."
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are in Palo Alto, CA. See our fall schedule here. We hope to see you there!
- Payments Boot Camp - Palo Alto - December 6-7
- Insight Workshop - Palo Alto - Innovation in Payments - December 8
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: firstname.lastname@example.org!