Headline News is brought to you by Glenbrook Partners. Glenbrook provides payments strategy consulting and education services to payments professionals worldwide!
ON THE WEB
- Deutsche Bank: Capital Markets Expect Blockchain Impact Within 6 Years - Coindesk - "Three out of four capital markets participants now believe distributed ledger tech will see widespread use within the next six years, according to a new Deutsche Bank report."
- Introducing Messenger Platform v1.3 and New Ways to Drive the Conversation - Facebook developer blog - "We are introducing a payments update that will allow businesses who are not integrated with Stripe/Paypal to process payments within both messages and webview. When a user makes a payment, Facebook will send the business single-use, tokenized credentials, which will allow them to integrate with their preferred payment provider. It also allows developers who manage multiple bots to integrate payments without requiring additional setup for each bot that they manage. This feature continues to roll out in a closed beta."
- Majority of Digital Users in U.S. and China Regularly Shop and Purchase via E-Commerce - IAB - "When it comes to making a purchase, American shoppers are much more likely to use a credit or debit card (63% U.S. vs. 34% China on computer; 37% U.S. vs. 6% China on mobile). In China, payment is much more likely to take place via a digital payment service like PayPal or WePay (47% China vs. 15% U.S. on computer; 36% China vs. 17% U.S. on mobile) or a mobile wallet service like Apple Pay (21% China vs. 2% U.S.)."
- Report: Airports Could Be the Next Big Beacon Hubs - Street Fight - "“In order for an app to communicate [with a beacon, one’s] Bluetooth needs to be turned on, which has been an obstacle [for the widespread adoption of beacon technology],” said Walle, adding that this obstacle appears to be dying out. “A few years ago an average of 30 percent of users had Bluetooth turned on, now it’s at 50 percent.”"
- UK Government Embraces FIDO in Formal Digital Security Strategy - Find Biometrics - "The UK government is deepening its commitment to the FIDO Alliance’s authentication standards. It has just laid out its UK National Cyber Security Strategy in an 84-page document, and adherence to FIDO is an important component, observes the FIDO Alliance’s Brett McDowell in a new post on the Alliance’s website."
- Where Do Consumers Still Need Biometric Authentication? - Mobile ID World - "But the personal computer is far from the final frontier for consumer biometrics. Anywhere that convenience is desired and strong security is needed, biometrics can be applied to make life easier and safer for consumers."
- Fooling Facial Recognition Systems - Schneier on Security - "This is some interesting research. You can fool facial recognition systems by wearing glasses printed with elements of other peoples' faces."
- A short history of 150 years of paper currency in India - Quartz - "Until the 18th century, silver and gold coins were commonly used in India. But as private European trading companies established their own banks in the region, such as the Bank of Hindostan in Calcutta, they began issuing the very first versions of Indian paper notes, which were initially just text-based."
ON THE WIRES
- Vantiv Announces Agreement to Acquire Moneris Solutions USA - "Vantiv, Inc. (NYSE: VNTV), a leading provider of payment processing services and related technology solutions, announced today its agreement to acquire Moneris Solutions, Inc. (Moneris USA) from Moneris Solutions Corporation (Moneris) for $425 million USD, subject to certain adjustments. Schaumburg, IL-based Moneris USA is the U.S. subsidiary of Moneris, which is a joint investment between BMO Financial Group and Royal Bank of Canada (RBC)."
- AirPlus and Airbnb to Integrate Booking and Payment Solution - "The companies are working on an integrated payment process so that the traveler will be able to book accommodation on Airbnb and automatically centrally bill the corporate account. Travel managers can ensure optimal transparency and perform data analysis with additional information such as cost center, project or employee number."
- Flywire Expands Cross-Border Tuition Payment Service in Australia - "Flywire, a leading provider of cross-border payment solutions, has expanded in Australia, opening a new office in Sydney to support its local operations. The move builds on Flywire’s existing Asia-Pacific presence in Shanghai, China, Singapore and Tokyo, and strong growth worldwide."
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are in Palo Alto, CA. See our fall schedule here. We hope to see you there!
- Payments Boot Camp - Palo Alto - December 6-7
- Insight Workshop - Palo Alto - Innovation in Payments - December 8
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- Scott Loftesness, a Glenbrook founding partner, formally retired October 31. Read Carol Coye Benson's Payments Views post about our co-founder's impact on the industry and on Glenbrook. If you know Scott, too, leave a comment!
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Among other positions, we're looking for an East Coast engagement manger. Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: firstname.lastname@example.org!