Headline News is brought to you by Glenbrook Partners. Glenbrook provides payments strategy consulting and education services to payments professionals worldwide!
ON THE WEB
- Thai Kasikornbank, IBM join forces on blockchain network - Reuters - "Thailand's Kasikornbank Pcl has joined with the Thai unit of International Business Machines Corp to develop blockchain services in a bid to save costs and speed up transaction process, the companies said on Thursday."
- Android apps will soon be able to offer cheaper, introductory subscription prices - The Verge - "There are many app categories where this could make a big difference. Music and video are certainly on that list; maybe cheaper introductory pricing could boost Google's own struggling YouTube Red service, or help Spotify maintain its lead over Apple Music and other rivals. Other apps like internet TV offerings (Sling TV, PlayStation Vue) and productivity tools (Evernote) also stand to benefit if developers are willing to temporarily cut their prices in hopes that customers will stay subscribed once the normal rate kicks in — either because they forgot or, more ideally, actually find the app or service to be worth the monthly charge."
- More than one in five card payments in UK use contactless, figures show - NFC World - "More than one in five card payments are now made using contactless cards, The UK Cards Association says, adding it is “excited” by the possibilities the technology brings for making payments to transport operators and charities."
ON THE WIRES
- Linxens Acquires Smartrac’s Secure ID & Transaction (SIT) Division - "LINXENS, a global leader in the design and manufacture of micro-connectors for smart cards, has today announced that it has acquired SMARTRAC's SIT division, a global leader in the development and manufacture of RFID inlays and antennas. The deal is expected to complete by the end of the year."
- Uber Launches Its First Debit Card in Latin America, in Partnership with Bankaool - "Uber, the ride-sharing app that allows users to request safe, reliable and affordable rides with just a tap, in partnership with Bankaool, the first Mexican online bank, and Mastercard, the industry leader in electronic payments, announced the launch of Uber Bankaool Debit Card, an innovative solution that offers an alternative way to pay for rides, using a mobile banking app."
- Alliance Data Announces New Credit Acquisition Tools Aimed At Reducing Friction, Application Time - "Alliance Data Systems Corporation's card services business, a premier provider of private label, co-brand and commercial credit programs, today announced its new, proprietary credit card acquisition tools for retailers, designed to add convenience, save time and reduce abandoned credit applications. I.D. Self-Scan and the first-of-its-kind Frictionless Mobile Credit provide shoppers with the ability to apply for a store-branded credit card in a matter of seconds. Early data indicates that Frictionless Mobile Credit reduces application time by more than 25 percent."
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are in Palo Alto, CA. See our fall schedule here. We hope to see you there!
- Payments Boot Camp - Palo Alto - December 6-7
- Insight Workshop - Palo Alto - Innovation in Payments - December 8
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- Scott Loftesness, a Glenbrook founding partner, formally retired October 31. Read Carol Coye Benson's Payments Views post about our co-founder's impact on the industry and on Glenbrook. If you know Scott, too, leave a comment!
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Among other positions, we're looking for an East Coast engagement manger. Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: firstname.lastname@example.org!