Headline News is brought to you by Glenbrook Partners. Glenbrook provides payments strategy consulting and education services to payments professionals worldwide!
ON THE WEB
- Staples adopts Apple Pay for Web after in-app success - Mobile Commerce Daily - "Office supplier Staples is investing more in Apple Pay for online purposes after it saw 30 percent of its mobile application sales coming through the mobile pay program, but its in-store usage is lacking."
- Optimizing Transaction Speed at the Point of Sale - EMV Connection - "As chip cards continue to be issued and chip-enabled terminals continue to appear at merchant locations across the U.S., many cardholders and merchants are having varied responses to their chip transaction experiences. A common response heard across the industry is the inconsistent speed observed during an EMV transaction, where a chip transaction might take a couple seconds at one merchant but 20 or more seconds at another."
- Nasdaq Wants to Patent Blockchain Backups for Exchanges - Coindesk - "Nasdaq is looking to patent a method by which a blockchain could be used to secure records of exchange transactions. On 6th October, the US Patent and Trademark Office (USTPO) released an application for "systems and methods of blockchain transaction recordation", originally submitted by Nasdaq on 31st March."
- Bringing Home the Bacon with a Good Card Program - FIS blog - "Over the last five or six years, card usage has grown enormously. Debit card usage is up over 50 percent, while credit cards up by just under 30 percent, according to The Nilson Report from Dec. 2015. These upward trends look set to continue to the end of the decade as card penetration continues its steady growth."
- PwC: Digital And Mobile Holiday Spending Will Jump 25% - Retail Touch Points - "Furthering the need for retailers to bolster their store experiences, both e-Commerce and mobile sales are set to skyrocket, increasing by 25% each. With more shoppers expected to buy through digital channels in the 2016 holiday season, retailers need to ensure that this growth doesn’t cannibalize their brick-and-mortar presence. However, brands are encouraged to continue optimizing e-Commerce and mobile experiences to include frictionless, one-click checkout and easy access to store inventory."
ON THE WIRES
- AFSA urges changes to CFPB's proposed small dollar rule - "The American Financial Services Association (AFSA) has submitted its 37-page comment letter to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) urging the federal regulator to preserve consumers’ access to safe and affordable traditional installment lending (TIL) by modifying the Proposed Rule on payday, title loans and certain high-cost installment loans."
- From the Trenches: Current Status of Security and Risk in the Financial Sector - "Ransomware, identified by 55% of respondents, has eclipsed spearphishing (50%) as the top attack vector for the first time. Such attacks have caused considerable damage, with 32% of survey respondents citing losses between $100,001 and $500,000 as a result of their breaches."
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are coming this fall - in Palo Alto, CA and New York City. See our fall schedule here. We hope to see you there!
- Payments Boot Camp - Palo Alto - October 11-12
- Insight Workshop - Palo Alto - Payment Data - October 13
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Among other positions, we're looking for an East Coast engagement manger. Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!