Headline News is brought to you by Glenbrook Partners. Glenbrook provides payments strategy consulting and education services to payments professionals worldwide!
ON THE WEB
- Payments Data with Russ Jones - Glenbrook’s Payments on Fire Podcast - "Take a dip into the payment data pool in this podcast with Glenbrook’s Russ Jones. Russ discusses artificial intelligence, privacy, and the spread of Bluetooth beacons. For a deeper dive into the topic, join Russ at the Payments Data Insight Workshop on October 13 in Palo Alto because data’s influence in payments continues to expand."
- Nets Starts Trading as IPO Values Payment Firm at $4.5 Billion - Bloomberg - "Nets Holding A/S, a Nordic payments firm being sold by equity funds Advent International Corporation and Bain Capital Private Equity, as well as Danish pension fund ATP, started trading in Copenhagen after an offer period to buy shares ended early. Investors paid 150 kroner a share to own a chunk of the company, according to a statement to the stock exchange in the Danish capital on Friday. That values Nets at 30 billion kroner ($4.5 billion), with 52 percent of the firm in free float, not including a so-called over-allotment."
- Facebook Messenger adds group chat Polls and AI payment suggestions - Tech Crunch - "Facebook first launched friend-to-friend payments in March 2015, and just opened up payments to chatbots. But now you won’t have to beg and nag people as directly to settle their debts. Facebook’s AI will swoop in. Facebook already has some know-how here since the head of Messenger David Marcus and its VP of Product Stan Chudnovsky both came from PayPal. Making payments a seamless part of the conversation experience could lure people away from siloed apps like Venmo, PayPal, and Square Cash which solely handle payments and not everyone has. Combining Messenger’s ubiquity with a simple payments feature could keep people running all their communication, words or dollars, through Facebook’s chat app. "
- World's Largest Mining Company to Use Blockchain for Supply Chain - Coindesk - "BHP Billiton revealed at the second annual Global Blockchain Summit that it will use blockchain to record movements of wellbore rock and fluid samples and better secure the real-time data that is generated during delivery. According to BHP geophysicist R Tyler Smith, the new system will enable benefits for its internal efficiency while allowing it to work more effectively with partners."
- IBM, China UnionPay Develop Blockchain Loyalty Points Exchange - Coindesk - "In a proof-of-concept revealed today, IBM and China UnionPay have developed a platform that allows customers to trade points earned through purchases and other incentivized behavior with one another. It's a concept that can be applied to the exchange of frequent flyer miles, mobile phone bills or gas cards."
- Blockchain Makes Inroads in Shipping - Wall Street Journal - "Marine Transport International Ltd., a U.K.-based freight fowarder, has started using blockchain to create real-time digital ledgers of shipping data for use by port officials, cargo owners and others along global supply chains, the company said Thursday."
- This Beautiful Copper Coin Could Transform How We Spend Money - Fast Company - "Scrip is a provocative solution to a world full of easy electronic payments. A concept by NewDealDesign (NDD)—a design firm known both for working on major products like Google's late Project Ara, Fitbit, and Lytro, as well as feasible sci-fi tech like swappable tattoos that live under your skin. It’s a digitally connected, mechanical brass coin that you load with money like a MetroCard. And as you go about your day, paying for things via wireless NFC connections (like Apple Pay), it offers braille-like tactile feedback so that you recognize how much you’re spending."
ON THE WIRES
- LENOVO™, INTEL®, PAYPAL® AND SYNAPTICS® ANNOUNCE COLLABORATION TO BRING FIDO® AUTHENTICATION TO LAPTOPS - "Lenovo (HKSE: 992) (ADR: LNVGY), Intel, Synaptics and PayPal revealed a collaborative effort today to bring simple and safe authentication experiences to enterprise and consumer use cases today. The collaboration will enable Lenovo customers to be able to authenticate to online FIDO-enabled services like PayPal by using a fingerprint instead of a password."
- FIME launches the next generation of its EMV Level 3 test platform for the US market - "FIME’s EMV Level 3 test platform Savvi 3.0 – used by acquirers, processors, merchants, VARs and ISVs globally for terminal integration testing – is now available for the U.S. with expanded testing functionality and the most extensive range of international and domestic payment scheme qualifications of any tool on the market."
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are coming this fall - in Palo Alto, CA and New York City. See our fall schedule here. We hope to see you there!
- Payments Boot Camp - Palo Alto - October 11-12
- Insight Workshop - Palo Alto - Payment Data - October 13
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Among other positions, we're looking for an East Coast engagement manger. Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!