Headline News is brought to you by Glenbrook Partners. Glenbrook provides payments strategy consulting and education services to payments professionals worldwide!
ON THE WEB
- What the Wells Fargo Cross-Selling Mess Means for Banks - Wall Street Journal - "Concept of selling customers multiple products is Holy Grail of banking, but it’s tough to pull off in practice."
- PayPal Reaches Deeper Into China With UnionPay Partnership - Bloomberg - "Merchants in European countries will be able to accept payments from UnionPay credit and debit cards through PayPal’s Braintree platform designed for mobile commerce, San Jose, California-based PayPal said Thursday in a statement. Adding a familiar payment option is a key step to enabling cross-border e-commerce, so the partnership will increase PayPal’s appeal to European merchants looking to reach Chinese shoppers. Alibaba Group Holding Ltd. uses a similar strategy to introduce foreign goods to Chinese shoppers through it’s payments service."
- Domino’s joins chatbot movement, unveils Facebook Messenger ordering - Mobile Commerce Daily - "In an effort to cash in on the chatbot craze and expand its own digital ordering service, Domino’s is now allowing customers to order pizza through a Facebook Messenger chatbot."
- Australia to Lead International Blockchain Standards Effort - Coindesk - "An Australian group has been selected by the International Organization of Standardization (ISO) to spearhead a technical committee developing standards for blockchain tech. Standards Australia announced its leadership role on the committee yesterday, revealing it will oversee members from 35 countries on the effort. The ISO, founded in the 1940s, is composed of representatives from more than 160 national standards-setting bodies."
- Taking Proximity Tech Beyond Promotional Offers - Streetfight - "Another forward-thinking, and more complex, use of beacon technology is enabling mobile payments. When a shopper is using a mobile shopping app that includes the customer’s shopping list, beacons can automatically add the items to a customer’s digital cart as they pass and stop at the item’s in-store location. Shoppers can add additional items to their digital shopping cart by scanning or taking a photo of the item. When it’s time to exit the store, an in-store associate can easily verify the purchase, bag the items and print or email a receipt based on the customer’s preference."
- Pushing the boundary of Enterprise Security with Verified Access - Google for Work Official Blog - "With security breaches that pose threats to businesses and their customers on the rise, CIOs are demanding more from their vendors when it comes to the security of their systems and devices. Advanced security is a mainstay of every Chrome device, regardless of price or type, and today we’re taking the next major step in bringing greater security to the enterprise with Verified Access for Chrome OS devices."
ON THE WIRES
- UPDATE: Walmart Canada Statement Regarding Visa Credit Card Purchases - "Walmart Canada began informing customers this morning that we will stop accepting Visa credit cards at our 16 stores in the province of Manitoba beginning October 24, 2016. On July 18, 2016, Walmart Canada stopped accepting Visa credit cards in Thunder Bay."
- The Bancorp Implements Cost Reduction Plan to Reduce Expenses and Improve Efficiencies - "The Bancorp, Inc. (NASDAQ: TBBK) today began the implementation of a board-approved cost reduction plan designed to streamline its businesses and corporate functions and better position the organization for the future. The first phase of the plan entailed a company-wide workforce reduction. The second phase will entail a close examination and identification of potential cost saving opportunities within the company’s supply chain network."
- Kazkommertsbank and Diners Club International Launch Franchise Activity in Kazakhstan - "Diners Club International Ltd., as part of Discover Global Network, and JSC Kazkommertsbank, one of the largest acquirers and credit card issuers in Kazakhstan, will commence Diners Club card business operations in Kazakhstan."
- Conformance Technologies to be Honored by PCI Security Standards Council - "“Participating organizations are critical in our mission to educate, empower and protect the payment card marketplace,” said PCI Security Standards Council General Manager, Stephen Orfei. “As the PCI Council celebrates its 10 year anniversary, we are appreciative of the continued involvement of Conformance Technologies and the commitment they have demonstrated to payment security since the Council’s inception,” adds Orfei. “We look forward to continuing this collaboration in the decade ahead.”"
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are coming this fall - in Palo Alto, CA and New York City. See our fall schedule here. We hope to see you there!
- Payments Boot Camp - Palo Alto - October 11-12
- Insight Workshop - Palo Alto - Payment Data - October 13
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Among other positions, we're looking for an East Coast engagement manger. Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!