Headline News is brought to you by Glenbrook Partners. Glenbrook provides payments strategy consulting and education services to payments professionals worldwide!
ON THE WEB
- Wells Fargo to Pay $185 Million Fine Over Account Openings - Wall Street Journal - "Wells Fargo & Co. was slapped with a $185 million fine Thursday for “widespread illegal” sales practices that included opening as many as two million deposit and credit-card accounts without customers’ knowledge, federal and local authorities said."
- Blockchain Requires Radical Change, Not Compromise - Coindesk - "Blockchain and distributed ledger technology are radical. Together, they could transform the way finance works, but people in the financial world are creatures of habit and old practices die hard. So, if these technological advances are to transform finance, they need to be championed by key financial organizations."
- Revel Systems inks payments deal with Shell as rumors swirl of a sale to IBM - TechCrunch - "Reports claim that point-of-sale startup Revel Systems is in early acquisition negotiations with IBM, and while both Revel and IBM declined to comment when we asked about it, a deal that the startup announced today could provide an interesting clue for why a company like Big Blue might be interested in buying it. Today Revel announced a deal with Shell, the oil and gas giant, to implement its point-of-sale system across its retail network of gas stations globally."
ON THE WIRES
- Orange accelerates mobile financial services in Africa and sets up the Orange Money Compliance Expertise Centre (CECOM), a mutualized compliance centre in Abidjan devoted to Orange Money - "With the recent receipt of Electronic Money Establishment licenses (EME) in four countries (Senegal, Mali, Côte d’Ivoire and Guinea), Orange has further strengthened its position as a major player in the mobile financial services segment in Africa."
- FIS and CO-OP Bring Cardless Cash to Credit Unions Nationwide - "FIS Cardless CashTM, the market-leading mobile solution that avoids using a plastic card at the ATM to withdraw funds, continues to expand its availability for consumers. Already possessing one of the nation’s largest mobile phone-to-ATM networks, FIS™ (NYSE: FIS), a global leader in financial services technology, has partnered with CO-OP Financial Services to expand Cardless Cash to CO-OP ATM’s menu of Terminal Driving services."
- ETA FinTech Event Series Launches in Boston - "The Electronic Transactions Association (ETA), the global trade association representing the payments technology industry, will unite Boston's tech and payments community at MIT's Media Lab for TRANSACT Tech Boston on September 13. TRANSACT Tech Boston brings investors, merchants, tech companies, and financial institutions together for a full day of fintech education and networking. "
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are coming this fall - in Palo Alto, CA and New York City. See our fall schedule here. We hope to see you there!
- Payments Boot Camp - Palo Alto - October 11-12
- Insight Workshop - Palo Alto - Payment Data - October 13
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Among other positions, we're looking for an East Coast engagement manger. Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: firstname.lastname@example.org!