Headline News is brought to you by Glenbrook Partners. Glenbrook provides payments strategy consulting and education services to payments professionals worldwide!
ON THE WEB
- America’s Biggest Banks Have a New Name for Their Venmo-Killer: Zelle - Wall Street Journal - "Early Warning, a bank-owned entity that is running the payment service, confirmed the name after The Wall Street Journal reported it earlier Wednesday. The service, which allows customers to use their mobile phones to zap money from their banks’ accounts to accounts at other financial institutions, has been operating for several years under the name clearXchange. That name, however, was never promoted as a corporate brand."
- Apple Plans iPhone for Japan With Tap-to-Pay for Subways - Bloomberg - "Apple Inc. is planning a new iPhone feature for Japan that will enable users to pay for mass-transit rides with their smartphones instead of physical payment cards. A future iPhone will include technology called FeliCa, a mobile tap-to-pay standard in Japan developed by Sony Corp., according to people familiar with the matter."
- Samsung Pay hits 100m transactions in first year - NFC World - "Users can add membership cards, gift cards and redeem coupons, and today there are more than 4m registered membership cards in the US and South Korea, providing more convenient and flexible payment experiences in users’ everyday lives. Samsung Pay also continues to add banking and merchant partners across the globe, with more than 440 bank issuers currently supported by the service."
ON THE WIRES
- RETAILERS WELCOME RELEASE OF GOODLATTE ONLINES SALES TAX BILL - "“We hope this move will bring the attention needed to get Congress to move forward in treating purchases made online the same as those made in local stores when it comes to sales tax collection,” NRF Senior Vice President for Government Relations David French said. “With online shopping increasing every day, it’s time for Congress to act. The price advantage held by online sellers when they don’t have to collect sales tax has resulted in the shuttering of bricks-and-mortar retail stores in almost every community across the nation over the last few years. That cannot be allowed to continue.”"
- Contactless spending outstrips 2015 total - "Spending on contactless cards in the first half of 2016 has already outstripped contactless spending for the whole of 2015, new figures show. Some £9.27 billion was spent using contactless methods between January and June of this year, new figures from The UK Cards Association show, more than the total 2015 contactless spend of £7.75 billion. There were 1.1 billion contactless transactions in the first half of the year, compared to 1.05 billion for the whole of 2015.Contactless card payments accounted for 18 per cent of total purchases in June, the latest monthly card expenditure statistics show. This is in contrast to the June 2015 figure of seven per cent."
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are coming this fall - in Palo Alto, CA and New York City. See our fall schedule here. We hope to see you there!
- Payments Boot Camp - Palo Alto - October 11-12
- Insight Workshop - Palo Alto - Payment Data - October 13
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Among other positions, we're looking for an East Coast engagement manger. Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!