Headline News is brought to you by Glenbrook Partners. Glenbrook provides payments strategy consulting and education services to payments professionals worldwide!
ON THE WEB
- Wallet War: Banks, Stores Slug It Out With Phone-Pay Apps - Wall Street Journal - "Payment choices range from Wells Fargo & Co., which will launch its mobile-payment application nationwide on Monday, to Cheesecake Factory Inc., which lets diners pay with their phone at the table with an app called CakePay. Wal-Mart Stores Inc. in late June expanded the rollout of its new payment mechanism that is contained within its shopping app."
- You can’t have financial inclusion without digital inclusion - Tech Crunch - "Of the unbanked population, 1,5 billion people are unbanked due to their inability to prove their identity through a valid birth certificate, passport, proof of residence through utility bill or some other means to fulfil traditional KYC-procedures."
- The privacy of mobile money users is under threat as the Kenyan taxman chases new revenue - Quartz - "The Kenyan taxman is seeking unfettered access to private mobile money transaction records in bid to identify tax cheats who use the platform. Currently only possible through a court order, the Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA)’s sights are set on the multi-billion dollar informal sector, which has traditionally been elusive but uses mobile money to comfortably transact money at every turn. "
- IBM Moves Blockchain to the Supply Chain Realm - Wall Street Journal - "Startup Everledger, which helps companies track the provenance of diamonds worldwide, is testing IBM Blockchain."
- Mastercard issues first brand change in 20 years, and Masterpass is now contact-less - Digital Trends - "With its new in-store contact-less solution, Mastercard says people can use Masterpass at more than 5 million merchants in 77 countries that accept contact-less payments, such as BJ’s Wholesale Club. The contact-less feature with Masterpass is first arriving to Android devices in the U.S. towards the end of July."
- 15 Payment Options Every Small Business Should Consider - Inc. - "Thanks to a the increasing advancements in tech, your global customers have multiple ways to complete transactions with your business. While there are hundreds of options out there, here are 15 recommendations to get you started."
- BNP's Ex-Blockchain Lead is Now Coding Smart Contracts for Clearinghouses - Coindesk - "Even if centralized clearinghouses are eventually built into or replaced by a blockchain, some services will inherently require the aid of a middleman, according to Collin Platt, the former lead blockchain developer at BNP Paribas who earlier this year launched his own blockchain startup to test this market thesis."
- European consumers want biometric payments - SecureID News - "New research from Visa shows that 73% of consumers across Europe are interested in using biometric payments – especially when integrated with other security measures. Nearly three-quarters see two-factor authentication, where a biometric is used in conjunction with a payment device, as a secure way to confirm an account holder."
- PSD2 Irresistible March Toward Global Empowerment - FIS blog - "The flipside of PSD2 is the empowerment of consumers; now consumers own their personal information. Banks are obliged to open up their systems to give PSPs access to account information to facilitate transactions requested by their customers. It is the consumer – not the bank – that controls who can access account information and who can initiate transactions on their behalf."
ON THE WIRES
- FIS and Payment Alliance International Bring Cardless Cash to Consumers at Retail Locations Nationwide - "FIS and Payment Alliance International (PAI) have partnered to bring FIS Cardless Cash to thousands of ATMs nationwide, reducing risk of card skimming in ATM transactions."
- Bank of the West Announces it Will Provide Customers with an Enhanced Online and Mobile Shopping Experience with Masterpass by Mastercard - "A digital payment solution that captures customer-entered payment information, loyalty programs, shipping information, and payment preferences in one convenient and easy to use digital wallet."
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are coming this fall - in Palo Alto, CA and New York City - we hope to see you there!
- Payments Boot Camp - Palo Alto - October 11-12
- Insight Workshop - Palo Alto - Data in Payments - October 13
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
COMING UP IN ATLANTA TODAY, FRIDAY, JULY 15
TAG FinTech presents: Lunch & Learn on Real Time Payments - After years of discussion, the notion of faster payments in the U.S. is rapidly becoming reality thanks to the efforts of the Federal Reserve's Payments Improvement Task Force and its participating firms. These new systems could fundamentally change how we think about person to person transfers as well as business payments. Of these efforts, The Clearing House's real-time payments initiative is among the furthest along and most ambitious. Get the details on its functionality, rollout and potential uses. Glenbrook's Elizabeth McQuerry is moderating the session.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!