Headline News is brought to you by Glenbrook Partners. Glenbrook provides payments strategy consulting and education services to payments professionals worldwide!
ON THE WEB
- In Mobile Payments War, Big Banks Strike Back - Wall Street Journal - "But the banks have a key advantage in this contest, which is that they can afford to undercut rivals on transaction fees. All mobile payment services are basically free to users. But when they are used to buy real goods from merchants, online or in a physical store, the merchants pay a fee."
- Omni Hotels Warns of Data Breach - Wall Street Journal - "An Omni spokesman couldn’t immediately say how many customers were affected by the breach, which didn’t affect all of the company’s properties. The hackers stole cardholder names, card numbers, expiration dates and security codes, Omni said."
- Announcing next-gen Proximity Beacons with programmable NFC and improved responsiveness - Estimote blog - "We’ve been hearing a lot of great ideas for projects that require explicit interactions with beacons—confirming payments, collecting loyalty points, clocking-in, etc. The new Proximity Beacon comes with a built-in NFC tag, making these ideas much easier to implement."
- Mitsubishi UFJ Financial to Invest in Bitcoin Venture Coinbase - Wall Street Journal - "Japan’s biggest lender, Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group Inc., is stepping into the bitcoin world by investing in Coinbase, a service that allows users to store the virtual currency and make payments with it."
- UK Government Trials Blockchain Welfare Payments System - Coindesk - "We started a small trial in the north west, designed to see if we can send welfare payments using this technology, and more importantly, to see if people reliant on welfare payments would benefit from this approach."
- Barclaycard’s newest innovation clasps mobile payments functionality onto wearables - Mobile Commerce Daily - "Barclaycard is introducing bPay Loop, a small case comprising a contactless chip, so that wearable owners can transform their existing watches and fitness bands into vehicles for contactless payments, highlighting a new commerce opportunity."
- Sberbank to launch its own MVNO - telecompaper - " Sberbank serves 127 million private persons across the country. The launch of the MVNO could help the bank with security issues related to its own services and to SMS-dissemination. "
- MasterCard and Virtual Card Services Launch vPOS – South Africa’s First Virtual Payment Solution - Payments Afrika - "Small enterprises and mobile businesses can now accept digital card payments in-store, remotely or on-the-go using their connected mobile devices, following the launch of Virtual Card Service’s virtual Point of Sale (vPOS) – South Africa’s first virtual payment solution."
ON THE WIRES
- Cumberland Farms Announces $50 Million In Customer Savings With SmartPay Check-Link (SM) - "In addition to saving 10 cents on every gallon of gas, SmartPay mobile app users receive a free Farmhouse Blend coffee, free Chill Zone beverage, or free bottle of water for every 40 gallons of gas purchased. To date, Cumberland Farms has given away over 2.5 million free drinks via SmartPay Rewards. Cumberland Farms major suppliers are also getting into the act, providing free coupons on a range of in-store products with SmartPay Rewards."
- Ixaris partners with Amadeus for B2B Wallet Prepaid - "Ixaris today announced it has partnered with Amadeus to deliver a global prepaid virtual payments offering, specifically for the travel industry. The agreement underpins the launch, earlier this year, of Amadeus global prepaid virtual card offering, the MasterCard branded Amadeus B2B Wallet Prepaid."
- G2A Strengthens Security With Front-End Verification Steps - G2A Introduces Verification Process for New Sellers to Sell Products on the Marketplace - "G2A's key objective will continue to be strengthening new seller verification with further measures. This includes credit card, PayPal and address (bank statement) verification, all rolling out in the coming months."
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are coming this fall - in Palo Alto, CA and New York City - we hope to see you there!
- Payments Boot Camp - Palo Alto - October 11-12
- Insight Workshop - Palo Alto - Data in Payments - October 13
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
COMING UP IN ATLANTA ON FRIDAY, JULY 15
TAG FinTech presents: Lunch & Learn on Real Time Payments - After years of discussion, the notion of faster payments in the U.S. is rapidly becoming reality thanks to the efforts of the Federal Reserve's Payments Improvement Task Force and its participating firms. These new systems could fundamentally change how we think about person to person transfers as well as business payments. Of these efforts, The Clearing House's real-time payments initiative is among the furthest along and most ambitious. Get the details on its functionality, rollout and potential uses. Glenbrook's Elizabeth McQuerry is moderating the session.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!