ON THE WEB
- What Customers Want From Their Banks: Ease - Wall St. Journal - "Nearly 80% of readers responding identified online and mobile functionality as being among the most important features a bank can offer."
- Crooks Are Using an International Messaging System to Rob Banks - Bloomberg - "All of the attacks were committed by cybercriminals, and at least some made use of a messaging system run by the Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication, better known as Swift."
- Swift CEO Expects More Hacking Surprises as Fix Is Years Away - Bloomberg - “We don’t think this is going to be solved overnight, so we’ll be looking for a number of quick wins to improve things in the near term,” Gottfried Leibbrandt, Swift’s CEO, said in an interview from the cooperative’s London office on Wednesday.
- European Commission approves Visa Inc's acquisition of Visa Europe - Reuters - "Has now received all regulatory approvals required for acquisition of Visa Europe Ltd."
- Wall Street is turning up the heat on start-ups - CNBC - "ClearXchange's digital cash transfer program was launched earlier this year. It's a payment network that consisted of seven banks making up 60 percent of the mobile banking market."
- Forget about debit cards — here come debit rings - WTKR.com - "The ring has a secure microchip and works when the wearer hovers it over the sensor on a card reader."
- Target merges mobile, desktop sites, cancels curbside pickup - Mobile Commerce Daily - "While Target is known for its ability to drive significant impulse buys from in-store shoppers, it is likely that the curbside program took away from this, and may have had a few hiccups."
- Using a Credit Card to Save for College - New York Times - "A small number of credit cards offer cash-back rewards that can be deposited directly into a 529 college savings account, the popular state-sponsored accounts that offer tax advantages."
ON THE WIRES
- European Commission Approves Visa Inc.’s Acquisition of Visa Europe - "Visa has now received all regulatory approvals required for the acquisition. The transaction has already been cleared by both the Jersey and the Turkish competition authorities. The transaction is expected to close in Visa Inc.’s fiscal third quarter of 2016."
- Retailers Ask FTC to Investigate Credit Card Industry’s PCI Security Group for Antitrust Concerns - "In a 19-page white paper submitted to the FTC, NRF said the card companies use their market power to “unfairly leverage their brands and proprietary technology through webs of closely controlled interdependent bodies and compliance regimes” including the council."
- Amazon Alexa Continues to Get Smarter: Over 1,000 Third-Party Skills Now Available - “At Capital One, we’re continually exploring new ways to harness technology to help our customers confidently and securely manage their money, wherever they are,” said Ken Dodelin, Vice President of Digital Product Management, Capital One. “Through the Alexa Skills Kit open APIs and developer tools, we were able to easily give our customers direct voice access to their accounts so they could hear how much money they have in their accounts, make credit card payments and stay on top of recent account changes."
- Apple Pay Coming to Grubhub's Customers - "We're always looking for ways to make it easier for our diners to find and order the type of food they want, when they want it, from their favorite local restaurants," said Sudev Balakrishnan, SVP of Product for Grubhub. "We're thrilled to bring the ease of use of Apple Pay to our diners. It offers another quick and convenient way for them to pay for their meals, whether they're at home or on the go."
PAYMENTS IN PORTLAND
- Join us for the next Payments in Portland (Oregon) event being held on Tuesday, June 7th. Details here!
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are coming this fall - in Palo Alto, CA and New York City - we hope to see you there!
- Payments Boot Camp - Palo Alto - October 11-12
- Insight Workshop - Palo Alto - Data in Payments - October 13
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!