ON THE WEB
- Is Friendly Fraud Spoiling the EMV Transition? - FIS Payments Leader Blog (Brian Beacom) - ""It was never meant to be like this. The global migration from magnetic stripe cards to the more secure chip-embedded cards was intended to add another layer of security against fraud. However, the reality is that during the transition to full EMV compliance, chargebacks are skyrocketing and it is the merchants who are paying the price."
- Once Again, Thieves Enter Swift Financial Network and Steal - New York Times - "New details about a second attack involving Swift — the messaging system used by thousands of banks and companies to move money around the world — are emerging as investigators are still trying to solve the $81 million heist from the central bank of Bangladesh in February."
- $1B Bangladesh hackers implicated in attack on Vietnamese bank, Sony hack - ArsTecnica - "SWIFT didn't name the other bank, but BAE Systems, which has been investigating the Bangladesh attack, has said that a Vietnamese commercial bank has been hit by closely related malware in a report of its own."
- R3 eyes $200m for next step in blockchain journey - Financial News - "New York-based R3 is asking members for money in return for equity stakes in a new utility that will run blockchain-powered applications for financial institutions."
- UK shows off prototype of digital iPhone driving license using Apple’s Wallet app - 9to5Mac - "Development of the feature has been made possible by recent changes to laws for UK driving licenses that abolished the paper counterpart to the photo card last year."
ON THE WIRES
- Paul Deighton Joins Square's Board of Directors - "Today Square announced that Lord Paul Deighton of the United Kingdom joined its Board of Directors. Deighton served as the United Kingdom’s Commercial Secretary to the Treasury, CEO of the London Organising Committee for the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games, and as a partner at Goldman Sachs. ... Deighton replaces Earvin “Magic” Johnson, who has stepped down from Square’s Board."
PAYMENTS IN PORTLAND
- Join us for the next Payments in Portland (Oregon) event being held on Tuesday, June 7th. Details here!
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are coming this fall - in Palo Alto, CA and New York City - we hope to see you there!
- Payments Boot Camp - Palo Alto - October 11-12
- Insight Workshop - Palo Alto - Data in Payments - October 13
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: firstname.lastname@example.org!