Headline News is brought to you by Glenbrook Partners. Glenbrook provides payments strategy consulting and education services to payments professionals worldwide!
Best wishes for the holidays from all of us at Glenbrook!
ON THE WEB
- Episode 45 – False Declines and Ethoca’s Role
- Glenbrook’s Payments on Fire podcast - "In this Payments on Fire podcast, Glenbrook‘s George Peabody discusses the false decline issue with Ethoca’s CMO Keith Briscoe as well as the company’s program to encourage more merchants and issuers to take advantage of its shared data service."
- PayPal Files Copyright Suit Against India's Digital Payment Provider Paytm
- eMarketer - "In what many are calling a tactical move to stymie a competitor, PayPal has pushed forward on a copyright suit against Paytm, a leading digital payment service in India."
- Hungary’s national bank to launch instant payments through mobile phone numbers
- NFC World - "A proposal from Hungary’s central bank Magyar Nemzeti Bank (MNB) for the launch of an instant payments service that will allow consumers to initiate a payment using only the mobile phone number of the recipient, with transactions completed “in a matter of seconds”, has been approved by the country’s Financial Stability Board."
- Apple Pay adds support for new Chinese banks and credit unions (Update: U.S. banks too)
- 9to5Mac - "While Apple originally launched Apple Pay in China last February with a handful of partners, it’s been slowly adding support for more banks and credit unions in recent months, much the same way the company has rolled out the service gradually in other markets."
- Mastercard, Visa work to make mobile pay safer
- Mobile Commerce Daily - "Mastercard and Visa will now be trading tokenized numbers in regards to customer’s credit cards to be used in their respective mobile pay platforms. For instance, customers with Mastercard credit cards who would like to use Visa Checkout will be able to do so without the platform keeping their credit card number and vice versa."
- Square Wants to Play With the Big Boys
- Barron’s Next - "The maker of those iPad-attached card readers now has set its sights on larger merchants. That could open up sizable opportunities for Square, since its business from big merchants is now growing five to six times faster than its traditional business focused on small sellers, according to analysts at Instinet, which picked up coverage of Square on Tuesday."
- The race to fix Nigeria’s payments problem just received a big boost
- Quartz - "Over the past year however, new start-up entrants have been focusing on solving a problem regarded as a bane to the growth of the country’s tech ecosystem. One of those entrants, Paystack, founded by Shola Akinlade and Ezra Olubi, has gained traction and rave reviews. Acting as an “intelligent bridge” between merchants and payments processors, Paystack connects to multiple payment processors and provides more options for merchants and customers."
- Wari and Mastercard Dedicated to Fighting Cash in 35 African markets
- Payments Afrika - "Wari and Mastercard signed a Strategic Alliance Agreement that will help strengthen the Wari offering for its users but also the digital payment ecosystem in 35 African markets. The two technology companies reinforced their focus on providing all citizens with access to secure and easy to use financial solutions, removing the need for cash and delivering more efficient ways for people to pay for goods and services. In support of this commitment, a suite of digital payment solutions will be introduced across the existing Wari network."
- Pew: Most Large Banks Fail to Meet Overdraft Best Practices
- Pew Charitable Trust - "Most of the largest U.S. banks continue to charge high, and often multiple, fees each time a customer incurs an overdraft. Additionally, more than 2 in 5 banks rearrange transactions in a manner that maximizes overdraft fees. Further, overdraft programs at a selection of small banks throughout the country are comparable in many respects to those at the large banks, with a few notable differences. "
- BNP Paribas applies blockchain technology to corporate payments
- Finextra - "Jacques Levet, head of transaction banking Emea at BNP Paribas CIB, comments: "This proof-of-concept demonstrates that blockchain technology offers real opportunities to considerably improve our offer for corporate treasury managers. On the payments front, this confirms our strong commitment to follow closely and further accelerate our participation in a number of market initiatives aiming at improving the corporate payments experience using blockchain technology.”"
- The Human Cost of Next Day Delivery
- Business of Fashion - "“It’s a business model that JD Sports and Sports Direct and Amazon and ASOS have bought into … The vagaries of online retail and fashion are such that it will have peaks and troughs in demand and the way they’re going to deal with that is to have a very, very flexible work force and pay them the lowest rate they can,” says Neil Derrick, Yorkshire regional secretary at GMB (Britain’s General Union), which is supporting some of ASOS’s warehouse workers."
ON THE WIRES
- Arvato Financial Solutions signs agreement with NuData to combat fraud
- "In order to provide a one-stop fraud prevention suite, Arvato Financial Solutions has chosen NuData’solution which integrates behavioural analytics and passive biometrics with a common platform. Arvato also seeks to provide a frictonless experience for legitimate customers while protecting against abuse."
- InComm to Launch PlayStation™Network Prepaid Products into Indonesia 7-Eleven Stores
- "InComm, a leading prepaid product and transaction services company, announced today that, together with MOL Global, Inc., the two companies are launching PlayStation™Network prepaid products to be distributed through 7-Eleven stores in Indonesia. MOL Global is a leading e-payment enabler for online goods and services in emerging and developed markets."
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Glenbrook's 2016 boot camps are done but there's more to look forward to. Our next Glenbrook payments education events are in San Jose, CA, New York, NY, and Atlanta, GA. See our spring schedule here. We hope to see you there!
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: firstname.lastname@example.org!