Headline News is brought to you by Glenbrook Partners. Glenbrook provides payments strategy consulting and education services to payments professionals worldwide!
ON THE WEB
- “I know Scott!" - Payments Views (Carol Coye Benson) - "Our co-founder, partner and friend, Scott Loftesness, is formally retiring from Glenbrook today. I can’t begin to say how much I will miss him – as a colleague, as a mentor, and as an endless source of ideas and insights. "
- U.K. Startup Powa’s Failure Sparks Cross-Atlantic Spat - Wall Street Journal - "Now the fight over what went wrong at that smartphone-payment business, Powa Technologies, is turning public, providing a window into the sometimes-fraught relationship between entrepreneurs and investors when things sour."
- Kohl’s Pay Update – Our Customers Love It! - Kohl’s blog - "It’s been just a few weeks since Kohl’s launched Kohl’s Pay, a mobile payment offering exclusively for our Kohl’s charge customers, and customer feedback has been extremely positive," said Ratnakar Lavu, Kohl’s chief technology officer. "
- Algorithm Red Flags Potentially Dangerous Domain Names at Time of Purchase - WSJ CIO Journal - "Invented by five researchers at Princeton University and the University of California, the code works by scanning for 22 “features,” or red flags that are consistent with suspicious behavior. They include names that are registered in bulk by the hundreds, names that are variations of the same name, random-looking names, and names with numerical characters. "
- This Anti-Fraud ATM System Won't Let You Use Your Phone - Bloomberg - "Elderly Japanese have been the target of so-called “it’s me” telephone call scams for years. Criminal groups call pretending to be a relative in need of funds or a medical professional or tax official demanding payment. The victims are often unfamiliar with how to use the ATM fund transfers, so criminals guide them through the transaction over the phone."
- Goldman Says UnionPay Curbs Won’t Tame ‘Stealth’ China Outflows - Bloomberg - "Bloomberg News reported that credit and debit cards to buy insurance products in Hong Kong will be suspended other than for accident and medical coverage -- later confirmed by UnionPay. Chinese residents have been buying the insurance to skirt controls on how much capital they can move abroad, in some cases using multiple swiping of credit cards as a way of moving money overseas through the purchase of insurance policies."
- America Isn’t Ready for a Cyberattack - Wall Street Journal - "The recent cyberattack that rendered more than 1,200 websites unreachable was a warning. Experts say a similar, or larger, attack could be launched tomorrow, and we’d be powerless to prevent it."
ON THE WIRES
- System Innovators and ACCEO Solutions Inc. Release Semi-Integrated EMV Credit Card Payment Processing Solution for Government Agencies - "System Innovators (SI), a leading provider of centralized cashiering and enterprise revenue management (ERM), and ACCEO Solutions, a leader in payment solutions, have partnered to offer government clients an EMV-certified, semi-integrated point-of-sale (POS) middleware solution with end-to-end encryption (E2EE)."
- WEX® and MyFlightSolutions™ Launch My Copilot™, an All-in-One Virtual Card Payment Solution - "Enabling operators to quickly and automatically reconcile a pilot’s trip expenses is groundbreaking for aviation businesses,” explained Jim Pratt, SVP, general manager, WEX Virtual Payments. Another benefit of My Copilot™ is the ability to automate the receipt tracking process so that users no longer need to manually keep track of unwieldy copies of receipts for approved expenses. “Simply put, this app means that pilots will ‘free up’ their wallets, which are usually chock-full of fuel credit cards,” notes Pratt. “Plus, aircraft operators no longer need to worry about losing track of cumbersome paper releases in order to buy fuel."
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are in Palo Alto, CA. See our fall schedule here. We hope to see you there!
- Payments Boot Camp - Palo Alto - December 6-7
- Insight Workshop - Palo Alto - Innovation in Payments - December 8
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- Scott Loftiness, a Glenbrook founding partner, formally retired October 31. Read Carol Coye Benson's Payments Views post about our co-founder's impact on the industry and on Glenbrook.
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Among other positions, we're looking for an East Coast engagement manger. Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: firstname.lastname@example.org!