Headline News is brought to you by Glenbrook Partners. Glenbrook provides payments strategy consulting and education services to payments professionals worldwide!
ON THE WEB
- Big Banks Turn Silicon Valley Competition Into Profit - Bloomberg - "Predictions that banks are about to be disrupted by tech-driven upstarts are starting to look a bit like LendingClub Corp.’s stock. The online loan marketplace’s value soared in late 2014 and has since slid more than 80 percent. Banks including JPMorgan, Goldman Sachs Group Inc. and American Express Co. are finding all sorts of ways to profit from such challengers -- via partnerships, funding arrangements, dealmaking and, sometimes, mimicking their ideas."
- The rise and rise of Mexican fintech - Tech Crunch - "While ecosystem observers may have predicted this momentum, it’s worth taking a step back to analyze the forces driving Mexico’s fintech ascent in order to provide a framework for other industries and countries in the region."
- I suspect that the people who are serious about decentralized trusted computing are neither Bitcoin maximalists nor Ethereum enthusiasts. - Medium - "The best approach is to use the blockchain as a shared “input tape” for off-chain programs. This keeps the blockchain agnostic to the programs that use it (so we shouldn’t ever need to hard-fork it to fix program bugs), and ensures that programs can be individually replaced and upgraded without affecting anyone but their users. "
- New Bill Would Increase #CFPB’s Authority - TMB blog - "As Congress considers this recently introduced legislation, continued changes to credit scoring models appear inevitable. Community financial institutions should keep apprised of any legislative changes. Watch for future blog posts for updates on this evolving legislation."
- Gen Z's in-store expectations - the next challenge for retailers - BizReport - "The next five years will see a widening gap between shoppers expectations and the reality of what a store can deliver thanks to the coming of age of Generation Z, according to a new report from Vodat International."
ON THE WIRES
- Fidor Group acquired by Groupe BPCE - "Fidor Group, the German digital challenger bank and fintech pioneer, is today announcing its acquisition by Groupe BPCE , the second largest banking group in France."
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are coming this fall - in Palo Alto, CA and New York City - we hope to see you there!
- Payments Boot Camp - Palo Alto - October 11-12
- Insight Workshop - Palo Alto - Data in Payments - October 13
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: firstname.lastname@example.org!