ON THE WEB
- Jamie Dimon on Finance: ‘Who Owns the Future?’ - Bloomberg Business - "If you ask me, the biggest risk will be in the payment systems."
- Washington State Regulates Payment Processors as Money Transmitters - Sidley Austin - "In a novel departure from the historical understanding of merchant processing activities in this regard, the Division of Consumer Services of the Department of Financial Institutions in the State of Washington recently issued an interpretive statement providing that merchant payment processing constitutes money transmission under the Washington Uniform Money Services Act."
- The Former PayPal Employees Who Run Silicon Valley - Fast Company Design - "The (self-named) PayPal Mafia has been around since PayPal was bought by eBay in 2002. Members of the group emerged as major players in the years after the acquisition..."
- Testing, Testing - One, Two, Hands Free - Google Commerce Blog - Once you’ve installed and set up the app, Hands Free uses Bluetooth low energy, Wi-Fi, and location services on your phone to detect whether you’re near a participating store. When you’re ready to pay, you can simply tell the cashier, “I’ll pay with Google.”
- Will ApplePay Be the Company’s Next Mega-Business? - Street Fight - "Essentially, no one has the advantages that Apple now has in the local payments space."
- Rapidly evolving mobile payments market is table stakes for retailers - Mobile Commerce Daily - "There is no doubt that the simplicity and ease-of-use of mobile payments will catch on in a big way and, in our view, that tipping point is going to come this year."
ON THE WIRES
- Sallie Krawcheck Joins Digital Asset Board of Directors - “We are honored to have Sallie join our Board,” said Blythe Masters, CEO of Digital Asset. “She has achieved extraordinary success in her career as both an industry executive and entrepreneur, and her unique mix of experience will be a tremendous asset as we build and expand our business.”
- Samsung Pay Now Available for Wells Fargo Customers - “We are thrilled today to participate in Samsung Pay, and to continue to provide Wells Fargo customers with convenient mobile payment options,” said Jim Smith, head of Virtual Channels for Wells Fargo. “We want to satisfy our customers’ financial needs when, where and how they want, and allowing them to pay from a mobile wallet with features like Samsung Pay helps us fulfill that promise.”
- Global Payments and Realex Payments to Host a FinAppsParty Simultaneously in Atlanta and London - "As part of our ongoing commitment to support the innovators in the fintech community, Global Payments and Realex Payments are thrilled to host the FinAppsParty in Atlanta and London,” said Frank T. Young, SVP, Global Product and Innovation. “We look forwarding to seeing the creative ideas that stem from the energy of this exciting event.”
- Wirecard Launches New Prepaid Visa Card mycard2go - "it is the first Visa Simply One combined card, bringing together the functionality of a traditional credit card with that of a V PAY debit card. The solution combines high-level security in the form of PIN entry with global acceptance. In this way, users of the mycard2go prepaid card can make cashless payments at over 24 million Visa acceptance points."
GLENBROOK PAYMENTS EDUCATION EVENTS
Our next Glenbrook payments education events are coming up in early April - both in New York City - we hope to see you there!
Bring your colleagues along! Group discounts are available. For more information or to learn about our private workshops conducted at your location, contact Glenbrook's Russ Jones.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!