ON THE WEB
- Is Apple Quietly Assembling an SMB Trojan Horse? - Street Fight - "With that backdrop, Square’s contact-less reader could be a Trojan horse into SMBs, which then enables several other operational functions (a big trend in local). This includes tying it back to local search."
- WeChat disperses mobile money to Times Square revelers via Bluetooth - Mobile Commerce Daily - "In the days leading up to the Chinese New Year, the messaging service has sponsored billboards overlooking Times Square to distribute Lucky Money, a traditional Chinese custom, to pedestrians who have enabled Bluetooth – as well as the WeChat “shake” function – on their smartphones."
- Bitcoin: A 21st Century Currency Explained By a Wall Street Veteran - CoinDesk - "It is the result of decades of work in computer technology by nearly anonymous researchers, as it elegantly solves a longstanding problem in computer science. Bitcoin allows for trust between two unrelated parties over an untrustworthy network like the Internet."
- Quick Tip: Check a Store for Apple Pay Support via the Maps App - TekRevue - "If the store supports Apple Pay, however, you’ll see the Apple Pay logo to the right of the store’s category and price range info."
ON THE WIRES
- Elavon Helps Protect Businesses and Cardholders from Fraud, Outpaces Industry Average for EMV Adoption - "Since the Oct. 1, 2015 liability shift date occurred, approximately 38 percent of Elavon’s U.S. customer locations are actively accepting chip card transactions, significantly higher than the industry average of approximately 22 percent for EMV acceptance."
- White Paper Showcases Five Things Blockchain Must Get Right in Order to Transform Payments - "DH Corporation today released a white paper showcasing five things that the banking industry must get right with regard to blockchain in order for it to transform the payments landscape."
- Fit Pay Launches Kickstarter Campaign to Support Contactless Payments for Pebble Time Family of Smartwatches - "The new smartstrap, called Pagaré™, enables Pebble Time, Pebble Time Steel and Pebble Time Round users to make secure, contactless payments at millions of retail locations worldwide."
- Glenbrook’s Carol Coye Benson will be at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona February 22-25. Let her know if you will be there!
- Real Time Payments in the US: Implications for the Payment Industry - Atlanta, GA - February 10, 2016. Glenbrook's Elizabeth McQuerry will be moderating this discussion on what "faster payments" really means, how it's been implemented in other countries, and how it may shape banking and how we pay.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: firstname.lastname@example.org!