ON THE WEB
- Cutting through the noise around financial technology - McKinsey - "We estimate there are today more than 2,000 start-ups offering traditional and new financial services. Here's how banks should respond."
- PayPal research shows 2015 was the year of haitao - China Daily - "The survey found that Chinese haitao (buying overseas goods online) shoppers' top two motivations for purchasing from foreign websites are a safe way to pay (49 percent) and proof of product authenticity (45 percent)."
- Payments 2016: Where Next? - VocaLink - "In the UK VocaLink launched the Faster Payments Service in 2008 and at the time it was considered to be a significant step forward in payments capability. However Singapore has implemented our new Immediate Payments Solution and their FAST service is functionally richer than Faster Payments in the UK."
- Two New Podcasts from Andreessen-Horowitz - Building Affirm, and Why Max Levchin has watched Seven Samurai 100-plus times and The Future of Money and Monetization
ON THE WIRES
- WeChat Hands Out Lucky Money on New York's Times Square Billboards During Chinese New Year - "At certain times, pedestrians passing through the square will have an opportunity to "earn" some Lucky Money by shaking their handsets as long as they have their Bluetooth and their WeChat "shake" functions turned on. The money will go to the receivers' digital account in WeChat Wallet. Users can either withdraw or spend through WeChat Payment, a digital payment service provided by WeChat."
- Glenbrook’s Carol Coye Benson will be at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona February 22-25. Let her know if you will be there!
- Real Time Payments in the US: Implications for the Payment Industry - Atlanta, GA - February 10, 2016. Glenbrook's Elizabeth McQuerry will be moderating this discussion on what "faster payments" really means, how it's been implemented in other countries, and how it may shape banking and how we pay.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!