ON THE WEB
- How PayPal Boosts Security with Artificial Intelligence - Technology Review - "PayPal can now do things like tell the difference between friends buying concert tickets together and a thief making similar purchases with a list of stolen accounts."
- Venmo, beloved millennial app, is finally trying to make some money - Quartz (Ian Kar) - "The feature will be released tomorrow (Jan. 27), according to people with knowledge of the rollout."
- Payments: The last mile of online customer intimacy - Mobile Commerce Daily - "Payment is not the main objective of any transaction. It is just the last mile of a decision that has already been made, but it is a big part of that whole experience."
- Amazon rebuffs idea of partnering with PayPal - CNET - "It's quite simple," Gauthier said. "Amazon starts with the customer. If our customers were asking for it, it would have been on Amazon already."
- In India, technology helps the unbankable to bank - Nikkei Asian Review - "Payment banks could revolutionize the use of mobile money. The RBI has taken a very large step to ensure that payments [will] be much less costly for the financially excluded customer..."
ON THE WIRES
- TSYS to Acquire TransFirst to Establish Leadership Position in Merchant Solutions - "TSYS today announced it has entered into a definitive agreement with Vista Equity Partners to acquire TransFirst, a Vista portfolio company and leading U.S. merchant solutions provider, in an all-cash transaction valued at approximately $2.35 billion."
- MasterCard Introduces MasterCard Instalments – A New Way to Pay that Gives Cardholders More Flexibility and Control - "With MasterCard Instalments, cardholders will be able to split transactions across equal monthly instalments using their existing debit, credit or commercial card at the time of purchase."
- Payments in Portland (OR) - Join us Thursday, January 28th from 5:30-7:30 PM to hang out with your colleagues and competitors to discuss all things payments! We'll have appetizers, Oregon beer and wine. For the first time, Payments in Portland is including a short topical briefing - this month on "B2B Payments - Promise and Problems." If you have a Portland payments presence and something to say on B2B payments, let us know! RSVP HERE!
- Real Time Payments in the US: Implications for the Payment Industry - Atlanta, GA - February 10, 2016. Glenbrook's Elizabeth McQuerry will be moderating this discussion on what "faster payments" really means, how it's been implemented in other countries, and how it may shape banking and how we pay.
UPDATES FROM GLENBROOK
- We're hiring! Passionate about payments? Love solving tough client problems? If that describes you, come join us! Click here to learn more!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!