What I'm Reading
- This week your editor has been enjoying reading Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari.
- Sapiens is a fascinating story about humanity on earth that I'm really enjoying reading. While not directly related to payments or fintech, it provides lots of insights into human behavior! From the description: "One hundred thousand years ago, at least six different species of humans inhabited Earth. Yet today there is only one—homo sapiens. What happened to the others? And what may happen to us?"
- How about you? What are you reading? Drop me a quick note and tell me about it: firstname.lastname@example.org
On the Web
- Introducing the Shift Card - Coinbase Blog - "The Shift Card is a VISA debit card that currently allows Coinbase users in twenty-four states in the U.S. to spend bitcoin online and offline at over 38 million merchants worldwide."
- Fewer Digital Wallet Users Are Making Payments - eMarketer - "Digital wallet adoption is increasing in the US, but some common tasks such as making a payment or receiving money are actually becoming less common among users of such services, per September 2015 data."
On the Wires
- Starwood Notifies Customers of Malware Intrusion - "Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. announced today that the point of sale systems of a limited number of its hotels in North America were infected with malware, enabling unauthorized parties to access payment card data of some customers."
- Holiday Retail Sales Driven by Confident Shoppers with More to Spend and More to Buy, Synchrony Financial Study Finds - "Nearly half (47%) of those surveyed indicate they are more confident in their financial situation than last year (37%), and 48% plan to start their holiday shopping earlier this year. Improved finances and larger gift lists are cited as reasons that 32% of shoppers surveyed plan to spend more this season than last season, up from 21% in 2014. "
- Wells Fargo Predicts Rise in Spending Heading into Black Friday - “Economic conditions and consumer confidence continue to improve as we head into the holiday shopping season,” said economist Michael Brown who co-authored the report with senior economist Eugenio Aleman, both part of Wells Fargo Securities Economics. “The National Retail Federation’s holiday spending survey found that the average holiday shopper is expected to spend 0.4 percent more per person than they did last year.”
- Cardlytics Releases Holiday Consumer Spending Report - “As more consumers spend their holiday budgets closer to Christmas, the challenge for retailers is to engage shoppers at every opportunity,” said Dani Cushion, Chief Marketing Officer, Cardlytics. “Retailers should plan accordingly and adjust their strategy to offer variety in their deals, specifically targeted to each shopper profile throughout the holiday season.”
- FIDO Authentication Poised for Continued Growth as Alliance Submits FIDO 2.0 Web API to W3C - "To carry this momentum into 2016, the FIDO Alliance today submitted to the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), the international standards organization for the World Wide Web, a set of three technical specifications required to define a standard Web-based API designed to increase FIDO’s existing desktop, Chrome, Android and iOS reach to support other platforms."
Glenbrook's 2015 Payments Education
- Our next Payments Boot Camp session is scheduled for Palo Alto, California on December 1-2 followed by a one-day Insight Workshop on December 3 on the topic of Digital Payments. Registration for both sessions is open and available now.
- If you have questions about our payments education program, please contact Russ Jones for more information.
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!