What I'm Reading...
- This weekend your editor will be reading Superforecasting: The Art and Science of Prediction by Wharton professor Philip Tetlock and coauthor Dan Gardner. From the book's description: "Superforecasting offers the first demonstrably effective way to improve our ability to predict the future—whether in business, finance, politics, international affairs, or daily life—and is destined to become a modern classic."
- How about you? What are you reading? Drop me a quick note and tell me about it: firstname.lastname@example.org
On the Web
- How Bad Will It Get for American Express? - Bloomberg - "Costco’s costs to accept credit cards as part of its deal with Amex was about 0.6 percent of every purchase, people familiar with the arrangements say, which was pretty cheap for any retailer, but Chenault offered to cut them further."
- Worldpay IPO: Putting a Value on Fintech’s Future - Wall St. Journal - "Investors in the IPO seem to be pricing Worldpay on profitability before the ongoing costs of building its own better systems, which it has been doing since being bought from RBS by private equity groups, Advent International and Bain Capital."
- FBI EMV gaffe is the latest setback for payments security - Computerworld - "What the FBI said is that PIN is far more secure—which is without debate—and it encouraged shoppers to use a PIN instead of signature. Therein lay the problem."
- The Numbers Behind Square's Payment Business - " In 2014, the company processed payments worth $23.8 billion, generating revenue of $850 million. As many other companies in the late startup stage, Square has yet to become profitable, having posted a net loss of $154 million in 2014."
On the Wires
- Barclaycard US And Priceline.com Extend Long-Term Partnership Agreement - "The priceline.com rewards Visa card provides us with another way to reward our customers for their loyalty and offers incremental value for everyday purchases," said Ben Harrell, Senior Vice President at priceline.com. "We are pleased to continue our ongoing relationship with Barclaycard as a benefit to our customers."
- Daon and USAA Reach 1 Million Enrollments in Mobile Biometric Authentication - "USAA is very excited with the advanced rate of biometrics adoption we have seen," said Rick Swenson, assistant vice president of enterprise financial crimes management strategy and analytics. "Reaching the milestone of 1 million enrollments is a strong testament of our members' preference to use a biometric when authenticating."
- Synchrony Financial Reports Third Quarter Net Earnings of $574 Million or $0.69 Per Diluted Share - “The approval we received from the Federal Reserve is a major milestone in our journey towards being a fully independent company. The third quarter marked another period of strong performance with the signing or renewal of several significant partnerships, continued advancement of our mobile wallet strategy, solid financial results, and ongoing deposit growth through our fast-growing online bank,” said Margaret Keane, President and Chief Executive Officer of Synchrony Financial.
Glenbrook's 2015 Payments Education
- Our next Payments Boot Camp session is scheduled for New York City on October 20-21 followed by a one-day Insight Workshop on October 22 on the topic of Virtual Currencies and Bitcoin.
- If you have questions about our payments education program, please contact Russ Jones for more information.
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!