Join over 8,500 payments professionals who have attended a Glenbrook Payments Boot Camp!
- Glenbrook's fall season of payments education kicks off in October with two sessions of our Payments Boot Camp - one in the San Francisco Bay Area on October 13-14 and the other in New York City on October 20-21. Glenbrook's Russ Jones is now leading this important payments education curriculum - he'd love to meet you at one of these sessions. Contact Russ directly if you have any questions.
On the Web
- First Data to Raise Up to $3.68 Billion in IPO - Wall St. Journal - "Payment-processing giant First Data Corp. on Thursday said it would raise up to $3.68 billion in its upcoming initial public offering, marking the biggest U.S. listing this year."
- Apple is ramping up hiring to bring Apple Pay to China - Quartz (Ian Kar) - "Quartz has learned that Kelly Sang, an ex-Alibaba general manager who joined Apple in 2012, was promoted to director of Apple Pay in China earlier this year."
- Chips, Dips and Tips: 5 Potential Problems With New Credit Cards - NBC News - "Some people are experiencing a 20 second wait times with these chips," said Avivah Litan, vice president and analyst at Gartner Research. "We're a more rushed society than anyone else. So me, I'm going to be a little mad when I have to wait longer at checkout. You have to wait until the very end to get your card."
- The problem with America’s new credit card technology - MarketWatch - "While other countries combine the smart chip-equipped cards with a personal identification number, akin to the way we access bank accounts using debit cards and PINs, U.S. banks are issuing chip cards without the code functionality."
- Bank Bets Americans Can Remember Another PIN - Wall St. Journal - "First Niagara Financial Group Inc. said on Wednesday that it is rolling out new chip-enabled credit and debit cards that require customers to enter a personal identification number instead of a signature."
- Adyen Adds New Funding From Iconiq, Values Dutch Payment Group At $2.3B - "This latest injection comes from a single investor, Iconiq Capital, which is perhaps best known for investing in a range of tech companies on behalf of clients like Mark Zuckerberg, Sheryl Sandberg and Jack Dorsey."
- Twitter Makes ‘Buy’ Button Widely Available - New York Times - "A store that is a customer of Demandware, Bigcommerce, or Shopify can use the software to tweet out a link to a product that will show up with a buy button."
- Blockchains and Banks - Medium (David Galbraith) - "These replace banking infrastructure providers with software that doesn’t need to be run by a separate entity (e.g. SWIFT), and lower internal costs but still keep the requirement for trusted entities (banks themselves)."
- SEB: Blockchain Could Make Banks 'Radically More Efficient' - CoinDesk - "Skandinaviska Enskilda Banken (SEB), a Stockholm-based financial services firm with 1.7tn SEK ($202bn) in assets under management, announced yesterday that it was among 13 major banks that had joined the top-secret work underway at R3CEV."
- SoftBank leads $1 billion investment in U.S. fintech startup SoFi - Reuters - "SoftBank Group Corp said it had led a $1 billion investment in U.S. financial technology startup SoFi, calling it the largest single financing round in the fintech space to date."
On the Wires
- First Data Announces Launch of its Initial Public Offering - "First Data (“First Data”) today announced the launch of its initial public offering of 160,000,000 shares of its Class A common stock. The initial public offering price is expected to be between $18.00 and $20.00 per share."
- American Express Cards® Now Accepted at Sam’s Club - " In conjunction with the launch of Card acceptance, American Express is providing a special offer to eligible Card Members for use at Sam’s Club locations from October 1-31. Card Members can receive a one-time $25 statement credit after they use an enrolled, eligible American Express Card to spend $45 or more on a new Sam’s Club membership in-store."
- Moneris expands portfolio of EMV®-capable solutions to United States - “Our proven track record gives merchants the peace of mind of knowing that they are working with a trusted and reliable EMV processor,” said Chris Lee, president, North American strategic partnerships and emerging markets. “We manage every aspect of the EMV migration and integration process, from design and testing, to certification and implementation, making the switch to EMV a seamless transition for merchants.”
- CardLinx Launches Online System to Connect Merchants, Card-Linked Companies and Digital Publishers - "The CardLinx Association today announced the availability of a new online system enabling merchants and their card-linked technology partners to share their card-linked offers with digital advertising publishers. Card-linking enables consumers to link their existing credit or debit cards to digital coupons, loyalty programs or mobile wallets."
Glenbrook's 2015 Payments Education
Updates from Glenbrook:
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!