On the Web:
- Square Said to File Confidentially for Initial Offering - Bloomberg - "Square has been working with Goldman Sachs Group Inc., Morgan Stanley and JPMorgan Chase & Co. on the IPO, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the process is private."
- UK Banks Hold Out For Bumper Visa Price Tag - Sky News - "Some of Britain's biggest banks are in line to land bigger-than-expected windfalls from negotiations about a takeover of Visa Europe that could value the payments company at more than £13bn."
- Chipotle says mobile payments, not loyalty, will drive customer insights - Mobile Commerce Daily - “With regard to loyalty, that’s a tricky subject,” said Mark Crumpacker, chief creative and development officer at Chipotle, during the call with analysts. “We’ve studied this in-depth, and we don’t believe the general supposition that loyalty will make less frequent customers more frequent."
- In its second year, Apple Pay is ready to cash in - Macworld - "Chip cards, widely used in many countries overseas, are still rolling out slowly here, but when compared to the ability to pay with one’s phone, they start to seem positively antiquated. Smartphone saturation, meanwhile, has probably outpaced smartcards."
- FinTech Bits: Smart Banks Are Banking on the Blockchain - Steptoe Cyberblog - "The takeaway from all of this? Banks, money remitters, and other financial institutions would be well-served to join the growing list of organizations that are studying possible applications for digital currencies and the blockchain to enhance their business, lest they be left behind by a wave of innovation in FinTech."
On the Wires:
- Canadian Payments Association (CPA) Announces New Board of Directors and Governance Model to Better Serve Canada's Payments and Financial Systems - "The new governance model achieves a better balance of member and independent representation on the CPA board, enabling it to effectively consider a broader range of user interests at a time of rapid change in the Canadian payments system," said Gerry Gaetz, CPA's President and CEO.
- CSC and HCL Form Joint Venture to Deliver Digital Software and Services to Global Banking Clients - "The jointly owned entity will be able to draw on the collective vision and expertise of CSC and HCL to capitalize on the huge opportunity the market offers. The combination of the unique assets from both companies will allow banking customers to better seize on the power of risk-managed modernization and take advantage of a more scalable global services footprint."
Glenbrook's 2015 Payments Education
- Our next Payments Boot Camp session is scheduled for August 4-5 in Mountain View, California followed by a one-day Insight Workshop on August 6 on the topic of Data in Payments.
- If you have questions about our payments education program, please contact Carol Coye Benson for more information.
- Click here to share PaymentsNews with a friend
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews