On the Web:
- Square’s Jack Dorsey Puts It All Together - BuzzFeed News - "Once a media darling, he hasn’t spoken on the record to the tech press since a New York Times interview in December of last year. It’s not that he’s been hiding, exactly, but he has lowered his profile considerably."
- PayPal, OFAC, and why regulators play rough - WePay Blog - "When OFAC comes down, they come down hard. In PayPal’s case, that multi-million dollar fine came as the result of less than $50K in transactions over a period of years."
- Accidental Apple Pay triggers: When iPhone and NFC don't get along - iMore - "But would it be too hard to have a "Dismiss" software button in the top right corner, in case Apple Pay is triggered accidentally? Or keep NFC from working when Airplane mode is enabled?"
- Could the Chip Card Transition Lead to More Online and Small-Merchant Fraud? - n>genuity - Going forward, the trick will be keeping the checkout process both easy and secure, says George Peabody, a partner at Glenbrook Partners. "The challenge is friction from a checkout point of view. If merchants are looking for security perfection, then they are going to be turning away good sales."
- PayPal Wants You to Inject Your Username and Eat Your Password - Wall St. Journal Digits - "In an interview with The Wall Street Journal, Mr. Leblanc said that passwords were broken, and that it was time to replace the concepts and methods of username and password verification."
On the Wires:
- Visa Inc. and the Alliance for Financial Inclusion sign landmark partnership agreement to advance financial inclusion - “Lack of access to basic financial services inhibits growth, weakens economic prosperity and disempowers billions. Universal financial access for all isn’t just a humanitarian goal; its core to our business model and rooted in our mission to be the best way to pay and be paid for everyone, everywhere,” said Ellen Richey, Vice Chairman, Visa.
- MasterCard and Marcus Samuelsson Partner to Serve Up Qkr!™ with MasterPass™ at the First Restaurant in the U.S. - “With Streetbird, I wanted to create something that made good food accessible. So we focused on creating an environment – from the menu to the incorporation of Qkr! with MasterPass – that centered on takeout and delivery,” said Marcus Samuelsson. “This is food you can order ahead and pick up on your way home from work – quick and easy – and even easier with Qkr!”
- American Express First Quarter EPS of $1.48, up 11% from a Year Ago - “First quarter results showed solid core performance and continued progress in expanding the American Express franchise despite an impact from several of the headwinds we’re confronting,” said Kenneth I. Chenault, chairman and chief executive officer.
- Discover Financial Services Announces $2.2 Billion Share Repurchase Program and Increases Quarterly Common Stock Dividend from $0.24 to $0.28 Per Share - "This is a five quarter share repurchase program and replaces the prior two-year $3.2 billion program. The company expects to make share repurchases from time to time subject to the company’s capital plan, market conditions and other factors, including legal and regulatory restrictions and required approvals."
- Synchrony Financial Reports First Quarter Net Earnings of $552 Million or $0.66 Per Diluted Share - “The momentum we generated over the last several quarters continued in the first quarter. Our value propositions helped to drive strong receivables, deposit, and revenue growth,” said Margaret Keane, President and Chief Executive Officer of Synchrony Financial. “We are pleased with our organic growth and business development results. We continued to extend major partnerships, signed several new programs across our platforms, and launched compelling promotions to help our partners drive sales growth.”
Glenbrook's 2015 Payments Education
- Our next spring Payments Boot Camp session is scheduled for May 19-20 in Menlo Park, California followed by a one-day Insight Workshop on May 21 on the topic of The New Point of Sale.
- If you have questions about our payments education program, please contact Carol Coye Benson for more information.
- Click here to share PaymentsNews with a friend
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews