What I'm Reading
- This weekend your editor will be reading If You Really Want to Change the World: A Guide to Creating, Building, and Sustaining Breakthrough Ventures by Henry Kressel and Norman Winarsky. From the book's description: "Drawing on the authors’ experiences as well as those of their partners from around the world, Kressel and Winarsky share the stories of their triumphs and misses, demonstrate their method in action, and inspire their readers in the process. There are more opportunities now than ever before to build breakthrough companies that touch millions of lives. If this is your goal, let this book be your guide to creating world-changing ventures."
- How about you? What are you reading? Drop me a quick note and tell me about it: firstname.lastname@example.org
On the Web
- Visa Nears $22 Billion Deal to Buy European Counterpart - "The Foster City, Calif.-based payments network is in advanced negotiations to buy its European counterpart—Visa Europe—for about $22 billion in a deal that would unite Visa’s global operations under one roof, according to people familiar with the matter."
- Heartland CEO: Blockchain Could Power Trillions in Bank Transactions - "It seems to me that the play is for banks [to use blockchain] to settle between themselves. There’s trillions in very high-end transactions going back and forth across borders between businesses," he said, adding without any real vigor: "That might be the breakthrough."
- Fidelity Launches Fidelity App for Apple TV - "Starting today, the Fidelity App for Apple TV® is available on the all-new Apple TV, giving investors a new, convenient way to keep tabs on the markets and generate investing ideas. Fidelity is one of the first brokerage firms to offer an app for Apple TV, which owners of the new Apple TV can download on the App Store for Apple TV. Users can navigate the Apple TV app with its Siri Remote to display a variety of market data."
On the Wires
- MCX CEO Brian Mooney Discusses New Partnership with Chase to Enhance CurrentC™ for Consumers - "Discussing MCX’s progress in bringing CurrentC™ to market, including its ongoing public beta, Mooney noted that the company continues to gather valuable insights from Columbus consumers, who can use the platform at more than 200 participating retail locations, including local CVS/pharmacy, Exxon, Giant Eagle and Giant Eagle Market District, Kmart, Mobil, Sam’s Club, Sears, Target, Walmart and Wendy’s locations. The beta will soon expand to include select local Shell fuel stations."
- Heartland Acquires Digital Dining - "Headquartered in Springfield, Virginia, Digital Dining offers restaurants the convenience of a handheld POS on an iPad, iPhone, iPod and iPad Mini in a hybrid environment with conventional fixed terminals. Digital Dining is also used by restaurateurs for table management, delivery, reservations, labor scheduling, inventory and loyalty programs."
- UnionPay International Launches mPOS Service in Pakistan - "This is an important progress of UnionPay International aiming at promoting innovative payment solutions in markets where the payment industry is still at an early stage of development. The Mobile POS solution, characterized with lost cost and high security features, will enable more small and medium businesses in Pakistan to accept UnionPay cards, and will expand use scenarios of UnionPay cards by local residents and business travelers to Pakistan."
Glenbrook's 2015 Payments Education
- Our next Payments Boot Camp session is scheduled for Palo Alto, California on December 1-2 followed by a one-day Insight Workshop on December 3 on the topic of Digita Payments. Registration for both sessions is open and available now.
- If you have questions about our payments education program, please contact Russ Jones for more information.
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews
Note: Headline News is compiled by Glenbrook Partners. Throughout the day, as we spot interesting developments, this post is updated. Do you have news to share? Tell us here: email@example.com!