On the Web:
- Credit Scores Could Rise With FICO’s New Model - New York Times - "Because of the new scoring model, individuals with a median score of 711 — and an otherwise clean credit history, except for unpaid medical debts — may see their FICO score rise by 25 points."
- How Uber Explains Our Economic Moment - HBR Blogs (Andrew McAfee) - "My driver said he’d been with Uber ever since he’d graduated from his master’s program in IT project management last year. This profession was, according to him, going through hard times."
- How Bitcoin Went Legit - Management Today (UK) - "Charlotte Bowyer, head of digital policy at think tank the Adam Smith Institute, says the signs are there that the Bitcoin community is beginning to get serious about professionalising the currency..."
- How Innovation in Payments Can Drive Local Marketing - StreetFight - "What we’re doing is making that more efficient, and, as a side benefit, simplifying the advertising infrastructure so that payment components can be given away for free."
- Intuit Acquires UK-Based Payroll Service PaySuite - TechCrunch - "PaySuite is one of the larger providers of payroll software in the U.K. The company says that the partnership will help them to continue development for “small businesses, accountants and bookkeepers across the U.K. and around the world.”"
- Gemalto Buys SafeNet for $890 Million - Wall St. Journal - "Gemalto said Friday that U.S.-based SafeNet's network data protection offering, which includes cryptographic systems used in cloud-based security, was a good fit with its authentication technology."
- Oh Thank Heaven, Even 7-Eleven Has a Venture Capital Arm - Re/code.net - "The company sees itself not just as a place to get a hot dog or nachos, but potentially as the first or last mile for all manner of commerce."
On the Wires:
- FICO Score 9 Introduces Refined Analysis of Medical Collections - "This latest version of the FICO® Score, the industry-standard measure of U.S. consumer credit risk, captures recent consumer behavior to give lenders better risk assessments across the credit lifecycle and all credit products."
- TSYS Releases Payment Security White Paper - "The white paper suggests issuers are actively engaged in steps to establish a stronger payments ecosystem that includes layered security measures — such as card tokenization, EMV, adaptive risk-based 3D Secure and cardholder alerts — along with strong customer education to provide assurance which in turn increases usage and loyalty."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: Oct 7-8 in Palo Alto, CA.; Oct 21-22 in New York City; Dec 9-10 in Palo Alto, CA.
- Money2020 has become the go-to event in payments. We'll be there in force... will you? Use this promo code to register "GLENBR20"
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: firstname.lastname@example.org or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Got news? Please forward press releases to: email@example.com.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews