On the Web:
- Top of Mind Payment Issues in Europe - PaymentsViews.com (Elizabeth McQuerry) - "One overarching point is that even as the Euro serves as a common currency in 18 countries, you really can’t think in terms of “European payment preferences”. Rather, there are German payment preferences, French payment preferences, and so on."
- McDonald’s preparing for launch of NFC-based mobile payments system - Mobile Commerce Daily - "An internal memo sent to McDonald’s franchises this week informed employees that they must be trained on the near-field communication (NFC) payment systems by Monday, Sept. 15..."
- Merchants Will Decide The Fate of Apple's Mobile Wallet - Forrester (Denée Carrington) - "To be successful, Apple’s wallet must have a compelling merchant value proposition - like lowering a merchant’s operational costs or helping to drive more revenue - in order to win merchant acceptance and preference at checkout."
- Top US Colleges Begin Offering Bitcoin Courses - CoinDesk - "Professor Geoffrey Miller taught the first class of NYU’s new course, The Law and Business of Bitcoin and Other Cryptocurrencies, yesterday."
- Peter Thiel's contrarian strategy - Fortune - "Among students of business, PayPal may be known less for its own success than for the subsequent achievements of the people Thiel helped attract to build it."
- Episode 565: The Story Of Alibaba - NPR Planet Money Podcast - "You can think of Alibaba like Amazon or Ebay, except you can buy way more on Alibaba — you can get a used 747 airplane, or an oil tanker, or 500 million tiny screws."
On the Wires:
- FIS Brings Instant P2P Payments Capabilities to EverBank - “EverBank clients want to be able to quickly send payments online or from their mobile phones to friends, family or colleagues, using just an e-mail or mobile number, and they trust us to provide those payment services safely and securely,” said Vincent Amato, EverBank senior vice president and director of banking operations. “FIS People Pay allows us to provide such a service, fully branded to our bank, so our clients have the safe, secure payment services they’re looking for.”
- Pizza Hut and Visa Checkout Ready to Dish Up A Million Pizzas - “Visa Checkout offers our customers another simple and secure way to quickly order online from Pizza Hut, and we’re excited to be the first pizza company to pass along this convenience to consumers,” said Carrie Walsh, chief marketing officer for Pizza Hut. “With this incredible offer of one million pizzas we think people will be energized to experience this latest technology.”
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Join Elizabeth McQueery and Manfred Schuck for Glenbrook's Payments in Europe Workshop - Oct 9 in Palo Alto, CA
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: Oct 7-8 in Palo Alto, CA.; Oct 21-22 in New York City; Dec 9-10 in Palo Alto, CA.
- Money20/20 has become the go-to event in payments. We'll be there in force... will you? Use this promo code to register "GLENBR20"
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: email@example.com or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Got news? Please forward press releases to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews