On the Web:
- Global Payments Signs Referral Agreement with BitPay to Offer Bitcoin Payment Acceptance - "We focus on delivering innovative products and services to our global customer base, and this relationship provides us the ability to offer our merchants an integrated digital currency payment choice," said David Mangum, President and Chief Operating Officer for Global Payments. "We are pleased to partner with BitPay to provide next-generation payment solutions to our customers."
- New Digital Currency Aims to Unite Every Money System on Earth - Wired - "Stellar can help take digital currency beyond rather insular projects like bitcoin and litecoin, melding it with fiat currencies and extending its advantages to the average internet consumer."
- Improved email receipts - Stripe - "We're excited to share a couple of improvements to our email receipts!"
- Apple, Samsung Call Patent Truce Outside U.S. - "The two technology giants agreed to dismiss all patent disputes between them in courts outside the U.S., marking an easing of tensions between the bitter rivals of the smartphone wars."
- The Slow Recovery in Consumer Spending - Liberty Street Economics Blog (Federal Reserve Bank of New York) - "In particular, it appears that households remain—almost five years after the end of the recession—wary about their future income growth and employment prospects."
- Simon expands iBeacon program to outfit more smart malls - Mobile Commerce Daily - "Simon’s deployment of Mobiquity’s Mobi-Beacon network, already in place in 75 of its premier shopping destinations, provides a unique, opt-in opportunity for customers to engage with retailers, brands and mall apps for timely and contextually relevant personalized offers, information and real-time experiences."
- Retailers Who Take Bitcoin Love It - Mashable - "For them, the currency is a viable, preferable alternative to credit cards that don't carry the same risk of fraud and have lower transaction fees."
- New Strategy as Tech Giants Transform Into Conglomerates - "The goal is no longer building a business but to be in the orbit of these tech giants. Or to put it another way, to win the lottery."
On the Wires:
- Plan to make Britain global centre of financial innovation set out by government - "One of the steps the government will take is to start a programme of work looking into how virtual and digital currencies could or should be regulated in Britain."
- Payoneer Provides Cross-Border Payment Solutions for B2B Electronic Invoicing in Partnership with Gosocket - “Payoneer is bringing together global B2B payments and e-invoicing to deliver new and better ways for businesses to trade globally,” said Scott Galit, CEO of Payoneer. “Payoneer and Gosocket have a shared vision for a world where businesses, regardless of size or location, can easily and seamlessly trade and get paid globally."
- Bitcoin Foundation Filing with N.Y. Department of Financial Services Wins Promise of More Information about “BitLicense” Proposal - "Citing New York law that requires a clear statement of “needs and benefits” for proposed regulations, the Bitcoin Foundation’s comments included a request under New York’s Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) for “any risk management and cost-benefit analysis (or any other systematic assessment) that is a part of the ‘extensive research and analysis’” the NYDFS cited when it issued its proposal."
- Amazon Same-Day Delivery Expanding - “Get It Today” Available in Six More Cities - "Amazon.com has expanded Same-Day Delivery with new “Get It Today” capabilities for customers in Baltimore, Dallas, Indianapolis, New York City, Philadelphia and Washington DC metro areas, with more than a million eligible items now available for same-day delivery."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: Oct 7-8 in Palo Alto, CA.; Oct 21-22 in New York City; Dec 9-10 in Palo Alto, CA.
- Money2020 has become the go-to event in payments. We'll be there in force... will you? Use this promo code to register "GLENBR20"
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: email@example.com or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Got news? Please forward press releases to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews