On the Web:
- Russian Gang Amasses Over a Billion Internet Passwords - "There is worry among some in the security community that keeping personal information out of the hands of thieves is increasingly a losing battle."
- Target Lowers Outlook on Retail Softness, Data Breach Expenses - Wall St. Journal - "The retailer, which experienced a massive data breach of its customers' credit and debit card information over the holiday season, said it expects expenses tied to the fumble of about $148 million for the quarter that ended Saturday."
- How Coinbase Brings Bitcoin to Billion-Dollar Merchants - CoinDesk - "To date, the bitcoin ecosystem has six billion-dollar merchants, and four of them accept payments through Coinbase."
On the Wires:
- Newegg Adds Visa Checkout to Streamline the Shopping Experience - “Visa Checkout is a great service that helps our customers make their purchases on Newegg quickly and conveniently,” said Soren Mills, Chief Marketing Officer of Newegg North America. “It removes much of the tedium inherent to the online checkout process, especially for our customers who like to shop on mobile devices.”
- Citi to Source $2.5 Billion to “Power Africa” - Jim Cowles, CEO of Citi for the Europe, the Middle East and Africa region, said, “We are proud to be a partner in this phenomenal project, an initiative to double the number of people who have access to electricity across Africa. Citi has a unique footprint in Africa and a commitment to enabling progress on the Continent through our technical expertise, financing and risk mitigation tools.”
- Paychex Announces Payroll Card Solution for Small- and Medium-Sized Businesses - "NetSpend ... will serve as the exclusive program manager and processor for the Skylight PayOptions Program. BofI Federal Bank, Member FDIC, issues the Skylight ONE Prepaid MasterCard."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: Oct 7-8 in Palo Alto, CA.; Oct 21-22 in New York City; Dec 9-10 in Palo Alto, CA.
- Money2020 has become the go-to event in payments. We'll be there in force... will you? Use this promo code to register "GLENBR20"
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: firstname.lastname@example.org or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Got news? Please forward press releases to: email@example.com.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews