On the Web:
- Introducing the Uber API - Uber Blog - "As of today, we officially open—to all developers—access to many of the primitives that power Uber’s magical experience. Apps can pass a destination address to the Uber app, display pickup times, provide fare estimates, access trip history and more."
- Uber Launches An Open API With 11 Partners, Including OpenTable, TripAdvisor, and United Airlines - TechCrunch - "That means any app that can send a destination address to Uber will be able to display pickup times and fare estimates without users having to leave their apps. For a small set of select partners, Uber will also allow users to request a car without having to open its own app."
- A Chain Funding Update - Chain Blog - "Today, we’re pleased to announce that Chain has closed a $9.5M round of funding led by Khosla Ventures, who are joined by return backers RRE Ventures, Thrive Capital, and SV Angel."
- UPS Investigating Possible Security Breach - New York Times BITS Blog - "UPS hired an information security firm and discovered that the malware was on its in-store cash register systems at 51 of its locations in 24 states, roughly 1 percent of UPS’s 4,470 franchises throughout the United States."
- Wells Fargo Launches Accelerator To Promote Innovation In Financial Services - TechCrunch - "Sahni said the company had informally been running an accelerator-like program for years, looking out for smaller companies and helping them prepare for “prime time.” Now the bank is making it official so that it can give these startups exposure and guidance from across the company."
- First Data, a Payment Processing Giant, Looks Beyond the Swipe - StreetFight - "Senior Vice President of First Data Ventures Peter Donat said the partnership will allow First Data to improve its analytics platform, which uses sales information to create actionable solutions for small to midsized businesses."
- This is how PayPal will take over your phone - VentureBeat - "Braintree’s new SDK, combined with this new payment feature, has the potential to make PayPal the go-to payments destination for mobile consumers and developers alike."
- Forget Passwords. Now Banks Can Track Your Typing Behavior On Phones - Forbes - “We’re monitoring the small stuff,” says Neil Costigan, founder of Behaviosec, the Swedish security startup behind the recent roll-out. “The flight between the keys, which corners of the keys you tend to hit, where you pause."
On the Wires:
- American Express Serves Fans the Finest of the 2014 US Open with Innovative Digital and On-Site Services - “This year, we want to bring fans closer to the most exciting moments of the US Open, improve their own tennis skills and capture unforgettable memories of their experience through new digital services.”
- Update on the U.S. Regulatory Landscape for Mobile Payments - Federal Reserve Bank of Boston - "The discussions revealed that the focus of the regulatory agencies related to mobile payments has not changed much since the initial meeting in April 2012 and that the agencies continue to support the need for consumer protection, the security and efficiency of the payments system, data security and privacy, and accessibility."
- Wells Fargo Launches Startup Accelerator for Financial Services-Inspired Tech Innovators - "Wells Fargo will make a direct equity investment of $50,000 to $500,000 in each selected start-up. The Startup Accelerator also will provide business planning expertise to firms in the six-month program, which is designed to continuously attract innovative ideas and stoke innovation across the Wells Fargo enterprise."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: Oct 7-8 in Palo Alto, CA.; Oct 21-22 in New York City; Dec 9-10 in Palo Alto, CA.
- Money20/20 has become the go-to event in payments. We'll be there in force... will you? Use this promo code to register "GLENBR20"
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: firstname.lastname@example.org or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Got news? Please forward press releases to: email@example.com.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews