On the Web:
- Hostility in Payments - LinkedIn (Scott Loftesness) - "The recent entry of Amazon.com into the small merchant mobile POS card acceptance market may signal the last phase of increasing hostility in the US merchant acquiring segment of the card payments business."
- Host Card Emulation 101 (White Paper) - Smart Card Alliance - "This white paper was developed by the Smart Card Alliance Mobile and NFC Council to provide an educational resource on host card emulation (HCE), describing what it is, how it’s used, how it compares with the secure element (SE)-based card emulation approach, what key considerations are for payment applications, and what security aspects should be considered for HCE-enabled applications."
- Banks, Retailers Speed Up Drive to Add Chips to Credit, Debit Cards - Wall St. Journal - "Although the cards still have a magnetic strip on the back to be used at merchants that haven't upgraded their technology, the computer chips don't work with a swipe at the register. Instead, shoppers slide the card into the bottom of the terminal and leave it there while the purchase is processed."
- Three Trends That Will Make A Difference In Mobile Payments - TechCrunch (Alberto Jimenez) - "Those with a history in the mobile payments industry know that it has been a slow (and mostly disappointing) journey."
- Coinbase Acquires Blockr.io, Welcomes New Staff - Coinbase Blog - "Today, we’re excited to announce that Coinbase has acquired Blockr.io. As part of the acquisition, we’re able to welcome two of its exceptionally talented employees to the Coinbase team: software engineer Sašo Matojina and designer Samo Drole."
- CFPB Warning Ignores Bitcoin’s Consumer Protections - CoinDesk (Jon Matonis) - "While we should definitely heed the risks within a digital currency environment, just as we heed the risks inherent with physical money, we should be equally aware of the additional financial protections provided by bitcoin that are so critical for maintaining a free society."
- How Bitcoin might transform international payments — a lifeline for millions - VentureBeat - "Remittance payments are a lifeline. ... Many of the financial institutions that move money back and forth charge exorbitant fees to keep that lifeline open—sometimes ten percent or more."
On the Wires:
- Simon And Blackhawk Network Expand Relationship With Enhanced Visa Simon Giftcard - "Blackhawk's product gives us access to more consumer demanded features and the new deal will allow consumers to have the added convenience of buying our newly branded Simon Giftcard at participating Blackhawk distribution locations nationwide."
- Navicure Launches New Patient Payment Platform - “To continue to thrive, healthcare organizations must collect patient payments at or near the time of service and no longer rely solely on patient statements, which can come months after care and long after the patient remembers what procedures were performed."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: Oct 7-8 in Palo Alto, CA.; Oct 21-22 in New York City; Dec 9-10 in Palo Alto, CA.
- Money20/20 has become the go-to event in payments. We'll be there in force... will you? Use this promo code to register "GLENBR20"
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: email@example.com or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Got news? Please forward press releases to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews