On the Web:
- EBay Payments Unit in Talks to Accept Bitcoin - "EBay Inc. has been quietly working to integrate acceptance of the virtual currency into its Braintree payments subsidiary, part of its PayPal unit, according to people familiar with the matter."
- Should We Kill The $100 Bill? - NPR's Planet Money - "But there's also a good side to the popularity of $100s. The note is popular with ordinary people around the world who can't trust their government or banks."
- Top 10 Myths about Square - Square Blog - "There’s a lot of misinformation out there about Square. So let’s set the record straight. Below are ten myths about Square, and why they’re totally bogus."
- Bitcoin’s Competitive Advantage for Online Retailers - Bitcoin Foundation Blog - "In short, there’s not enough evidence yet but the early data says Bitcoin is good for business."
- Exclusive: Overstock CEO says bitcoin sales to add 4 cents to 2014 EPS - Reuters - "Byrne expects bitcoin sales of $6 million to $8 million in 2014, most of it from new customers."
- Bitcoins Aren't as Scary as the Government Says - "Although there are risks to investing in bitcoins, let’s not forget that there are risks to government action too. The natural urge of bureaucracy is regulation."
- In European Fraud, Size Isn’t Everything … Or Is It? - FICO Banking Analytics Blog - "Dig a little deeper, and it is evident that the robust European chip and PIN defence saw fraud attacks evolve and mutate rather than be eliminated."
- As Facebook almost died, so did PayPal - Financial Services Club Blog - "PayPal are not an innovator or disruptor, but they are a machine. A growth machine."
- Measuring Conversions on Facebook, Across Devices and in Mobile Apps - Facebook for Business Blog - "Today we’re launching cross-device reporting for Facebook ads, enabling advertisers to see for the first time how people are moving between devices — across mobile apps and the web — before they convert."
On the Wires:
- BitPay Expands San Francisco Office - "As part of the recent growth, the company has named Sonny Singh as its Chief Commercial Officer to oversee all sales operations. With over 15 years of experience in helping to grow tech companies, Sonny will be responsible for increasing BitPay’s customer base of over 40,000 merchants."
- DISH Accepts Its First Bitcoin Payment - "Austin and Beccy Craig, the stars of a new documentary film “Life on Bitcoin,” were the first DISH customers to pay with the digital currency. The Craigs spent the first 101 days of their marriage paying exclusively with bitcoin. The documentary will soon be released chronicling their adventure and educating viewers about bitcoin."
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: Oct 7-8 in Palo Alto, CA.; Oct 21-22 in New York City; Dec 9-10 in Palo Alto, CA.
- Money/2020 has become the go-to event in payments. We'll be there in force... will you? Use this promo code to register "GLENBR20"
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: email@example.com or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Got news? Please forward press releases to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews