On the Web:
- Braintree's Reverse Takeover Of PayPal Begins - ReadWrite (Owen Thomas) - "The most interesting aspect of v.zero, compared to previous versions, is that it has support for PayPal built in, and makes it trivially easy for developers to add PayPal as a payment method."
- Braintree v.zero SDK – faster integration, drop-in UI, and Pay with PayPal - Braintree Payments Blog - "Today, we’re releasing the Braintree v.zero SDK, the new foundation for accepting payments with Braintree. It enables slick buying experiences, offers customizable drop-in UI features across platforms, and for the first time enables Pay with PayPal."
- The Global Bitcoin Opportunity: Why Index is Backing Xapo - Index Ventures Blog (Mike Volpi) - "We’re excited to back Wences and his team as they continue to build on their global dominance in the Bitcoin vault market. In the months to come, we’ll see a lot of innovation in Bitcoin storage and transactions from Xapo, and we’re thrilled to support the development of the Bitcoin universe."
- The Next Big Thing You Missed: Startup’s Plan to Remake Banks and Replace Credit Cards Just Might Work - Wired - "After raising $45 million in venture funding, Affirm recently launched a new service called Split Pay, which lets customers pay for online purchases in installments, instead of upfront."
- Copay (beta), An Open Source Multisig Wallet - BitPay Blog - "BitPay is pleased to announce Copay, an open source, multi-signature wallet. Copay was born out of our own need to securely store Bitcoins and we felt it needed to be shared. We believe that multi-signature technology will play an important role in helping people secure their bitcoins against loss or theft."
- Mobile E-Commerce Hits All-Time High: New Custora E-Commerce Pulse Report - Custora Blog - "In the past four years, the mobile e-commerce market grew 19-fold: From $2.2 billion in 2010 to $42.8 billion in 2013. This represents 1875% growth over these four years, and 111% 4-year CAGR (Compound Annual Growth Rate)."
- New approaches to anomaly detection - O'Reilly Radar (Ellen Friedman) - "Windowing and sparse coding, a simplified form of deep learning, provide a way to deal with complex repetitive patterns when you need to build a model to accurately predict them."
- Bitcoin Foundation Hires Firm to Lobby Congress on Cryptocurrencies - CoinDesk - "The Bitcoin Foundation is stepping up its US lobbying efforts by hiring Washington, DC-based firm Thorsen French Advocacy."
- How One Law Firm is Helping Bitcoin Startups Find Success - CoinDesk - "Perkins Coie currently represents between 40-50 bitcoin companies, a number driven by the firm’s relatively long experience and network of contacts in Silicon Valley."
- Signals from Foo Camp 2014 - O'Reilly Radar (Mac Slocum) - "Foo Camp, our annual gathering in Sebastopol, Calif., brings together people we know and admire, and those we’d like to know better."
- PunchClock: Fun With iBeacons - Panic Blog - "With this new technology in-hand, it wasn’t too long before I put together a brand new office In/Out tracker called PunchClock. It uses a combination of a geo-fence and iBeacon tracking..."
On the Wires:
- Michael Walsh Joins Warburg Pincus as Industry Advisor - Mr. Walsh commented, "The payments industry is dynamic and ever changing so now is the ideal time to collaborate with Warburg Pincus and identify the companies and entrepreneurs who are shaping the future of the industry. I look forward to partnering with the firm to build on its track record of investing in this critical area of TMT.”
- Hasso Plattner Ventures increases iZettle Series C to 45M Euro ($61M) - "Hasso Plattner Ventures joins in investing in the Series C round of funding, which was led in May by London based growth investor Zouk Capital with participation from Dawn Capital and Intel Capital, and Series A and B investors Greylock Partners, Index Ventures, Northzone, Creandum and the Nordic financial services group SEB."
- First Data Launches PayLucky™ Solutions - “First Data exists to help our clients grow their businesses and what the gaming industry needs to grow, and serve their customers better, is a dynamic one-stop-shop for the widest variety of payment options that include debit, credit, check, mobile, loyalty and prepaid processing” said Jonathon O’Connor, general manager, Online Gambling and Alternative Markets.
- MasterCard and Silicon Valley Bank Continue Commitment to Startup Success with Commerce.Innovated. - “Our aim is to increase our client’s probability of success, help them navigate their growth, and connect with potential partners to achieve their ambitious goals. This program is a perfect example of that and we’re looking forward to meeting the new applicants,” said Reetika Grewal, head of Silicon Valley Bank’s payments strategy.
- mopay Signs Global Carrier Billing Contract with Leading China Mobile Gaming Company Chukong Technologies - Ingo Lippert, mopay CEO, said, “Chukong is one of the top go-to partners for global developers who want to publish in the Asia-Pacific region. Our mopay team takes great pride in being the carrier billing partner of choice for one of Asia’s most innovative and successful mobile apps companies.”
- Beepi Becomes First Peer-to-Peer Marketplace to Accept Bitcoin Payments for Cars - “Integrating with bitcoin is a natural extension of our promise to deliver the easiest way to purchase a car in the 21st century.”
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: Aug 5-6 in San Jose, CA.; Oct 7-8 in Palo Alto, CA.; Oct 21-22 in New York City; Dec 9-10 in Palo Alto, CA.
- Money2020 has become the go-to event in payments. We'll be there in force... will you? Use this promo code to register "GLENBR20"
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: firstname.lastname@example.org or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Got news? Please forward press releases to: email@example.com.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews