On the Web:
- Irish Central Banker Envisions Hybrid Bitcoin-Fiat Future - CoinDesk - "To begin his talks, Murphy invited gathered attendees to join him on a thought experiment that envisioned a world in which digital currencies are used for payments in “a substantial amount” of goods and services."
- How Bitcoin can transform the developing world - Guardian (Jamie Bartlett) - "The end game for crypto-currencies like Bitcoin is a perfect, frictionless market: a peer-to-peer currency where I could transfer Bitcoin directly to wherever I want without having to go via any intermediary at all."
- Apple invention changes iPhone user authentication settings based on location - Apple Insider - "For example, a user may only need a simple four-digit passcode to unlock a device while at home, but authentication via Apple's Touch ID when in public areas like a shopping mall."
- M-PESA: The Best of Both Worlds - BBVA Research - "M-PESA, a mobile banking and payment system in Kenya, represents the gold standard for innovative financial services. It creates an environment where even the most poverty stricken resident of a remote African village can become “financially included”."
- Here Are Four Threats the Internet Faces in the Next Decade - Wall St. Journal Digits - "What are the biggest threats to the Internet? To mark its 25th anniversary, Pew Research Center asked thousands of thinkers, businesspeople, analysts and other esteemed technology followers to consider what the Internet might look like in a decade..."
- Network Effects: the Entrepreneur, the Investor, and the Poor in Bangladesh - GSMA Blog - "Today there is a small but thriving young crowd of new entrepreneurs, tech hubs, and startups that are just beginning to scratch the surface of solving some of Bangladesh’s biggest problems in health, transportation, education, and financial services."
- In-room Wi-Fi could hit 4.6Gbps with new tri-band chips - ArsTechnica - "Qualcomm has purchased Wilocity, a startup making Wi-Fi chips that support multi-gigabit streaming by operating in the 60GHz band."
On the Wires:
- eBay and Argos Move to Next Stage of Click & Collect Partnership - Tanya Lawler, UK Vice President, eBay, said: “Retail has changed and shoppers are in the driving seat like never before. They want to shop anytime, anywhere, on any device and British shoppers love to Click & Collect. It’s a service being rapidly adopted by larger retailers and this partnership with Argos now gives tens of thousands of sellers the chance to capitalise on Click & Collect, even if they have no high street presence of their own.”
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: Aug 5-6 in San Jose, CA.; Oct 7-8 in Palo Alto, CA.; Oct 21-22 in New York City; Dec 9-10 in Palo Alto, CA.
- Money2020 has become the go-to event in payments. We'll be there in force... will you? Use this promo code to register "GLENBR20"
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: firstname.lastname@example.org or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Got news? Please forward press releases to: email@example.com.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews