On the Web:
- Banks: Card Breach at Goodwill Industries - Krebs on Security - "Financial institutions across the country report that they are tracking what appears to be a series of credit card breaches involving Goodwill locations nationwide."
- Bitcoin: the Stripe perspective - Stripe Blog - "We’re still in the very early days, but we can already start to see the shape of the potential impact of Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies. If we get things right, life is going to be much better for billions of people."
- Transparency and transformation at PayPal - "PayPal is adopting InnerSource across the engineering organization as well as continuing to integrate open source code as we pay down our technical debt."
- Circle’s Bitcoin Banking Platform is Savvy Bid for Mainstream Market - CoinDesk - "Though questions about how Circle will expand and monetize this offering still remain, the company’s first product demonstrates that the bitcoin industry as a whole has only begun to tap the potential of the technology..."
- PayPal Select brings back rewards for top shoppers - Mobile Commerce Daily - "PayPal has begun testing a new loyalty program called PayPal Select that seeks to promote use of the digital-payments network by offering more rewards for its most active members."
- Starbucks Has Bigger Plans in Mobile Payments Than Most People Realize - Recode.net (Jason Del Rey) - "A decade after the idea was first sketched on the proverbial drawing board, Starbucks is poised to finally let its customers order their coffees from their phones."
- Visa, MasterCard Must Face Target, Macy’s Swipe-Fee Case - Bloomberg - "Visa Inc. (V) and MasterCard Inc. (MA) lost their bid to dismiss more than 30 lawsuits by retailers seeking potentially billions of dollars in damages over fees for processing transactions."
- Bitcoin and volatility - Chris Dixon - "Coinbase has solved this problem. Merchants can instantly convert any Bitcoin they receive into dollars. Buyers can automatically replenish any Bitcoin they spend."
- Buyback Bitcoin After Checkout - Coinbase Blog - "You can now refill the bitcoin in your Coinbase wallet right from the checkout page."
- Dell starts accepting Bitcoin for online purchases from consumers and small businesses in the US - The Next Web - "The company says it is “piloting” the digital currency for consumer and small business shoppers in the US; presumably if the test goes well, the option will be expanded internationally."
- Facebook Tests Buy Button To Let You Purchase Stuff Without Leaving Facebook - TechCrunch - "Rather than clicking away to a merchant’s site, the Buy button lets you complete the entire purchase flow within Facebook, which could boost conversion rates and endear retailers to the social network."
On the Wires:
- With Acquisition of ReD, ACI Bolsters Universal Payments Strategy, Delivering Unrivaled Merchant Retail Solution to Address Ecommerce Disruption - “With ReD, ACI better equips multiple segments globally - issuers, merchant acquirers, retailers, and commercial banks - as they address disruption in the ecommerce market,” said Philip Heasley, President and CEO, ACI Worldwide. “This marks a major milestone in our Universal Payments strategy to enable true real-time, any-to-any transactions.”
Updates from Glenbrook:
- Glenbrook Payments Boot Camps: Aug 5-6 in San Jose, CA.; Oct 7-8 in Palo Alto, CA.; Oct 21-22 in New York City; Dec 9-10 in Palo Alto, CA.
- Money2020 has become the go-to event in payments. We'll be there in force... will you? Use this promo code to register "GLENBR20"
- The Kindle edition of our book "Payments Systems in the U.S. - Second Edition" - is now available in the Kindle Store as well as in an iBooks version for your iPad or Mac in the iBooks Store.
- Feedback: How are we doing for you? I'd love to hear from you - drop me a quick note: email@example.com or leave me a voicemail: +1.650.469.3421.
- Got news? Please forward press releases to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Need consulting help from Glenbrook for one of your payments projects? Let us know your needs here - and we'll get right back to you!
- Join our mailing list for updates about Glenbrook events. Follow us on Twitter: @paymentsnews and @paymentsviews